Thursday, April 3, 2008

Perspective...


I started this post a little while ago, and then got sidetracked and didn't finish what I had been writing. It was a pretty mundane post- as things haven't changed drastically for us in the past few days since I last updated about Joshua's adventures. I had uploaded these two photos from my camera because I just couldn't pick which one I liked better to share with you. So, I figured two is better than one.

I spent a few minutes while I ate my lunch catching up on the normal things that I do during lunch. I checked out a few fellow bloggers' sites and read about Sydney's mail opening and Halle's big girl potty activities and Aunt Libby and Uncle Zig's preparations for Joshua's cousin's new room. And then I checked out the website of a little boy who I've been following for the past year or so as he battles leukemia. I read his website daily (www.ethanpowell.com). His parents post daily, and sometimes multiple times every day, requesting prayers for Ethan as he fights for his life. His parents are an unbelievable example of faith to me, and I've been inspired at how they've remained focused on God's will for their precious little boy. And I often find myself in awe of the blessing that God has given to Jason and I in this beautiful, rambunctious, lively little boy who messes up our living room and giggles a lot and brightens every moment of our lives.

Ethan is not doing well and can use your prayers for sure today. He's strugging in ICU right now, fighting pneumonia without much of an immune system. Yet, his mom asked for prayer for the other kids at St. Jude's in addition to prayer for Ethan. On his site today was a link to another little girl's website who has lost her battle with cancer. Her mom posted the following and it hit me like a ton of bricks today about the value of time. And so my post about the little, insignificant seemingly too-small-to-write-about happenings in our world turned into one of the heavier ones I've written in recent months. We have so much to be thankful for, so I'm thankful for the reminder I got this afternoon to just sit back and be thankful for Joshua, for Jason and for everything else that's going well in our lives.

Enjoy.

"To my child...Just for this morning, I am going to smile when I see your face, and laugh when I feel like crying. Just for this morning, I will let you choose what you want to wear, and smile and say how perfect it is. Just for this morning, I am going to step over the laundry, and pick you up and take you to the park to play. Just for this morning, I will leave the dishes in the sink, and let you teach me how to put that puzzle of yours together. Just for this afternoon, I will unplug the telephone and keep the computer off, and sit with you in the backyard and blow bubbles. Just for this afternoon, I will not yell once, not even a tiny grumble when you scream and whine for the ice cream truck, and I will buy you one if he comes by.

Just for this afternoon, I won't worry about what you are going to be when you grow up, or second guess every decision I have made where you are concerned. Just for this afternoon, I will let you help me bake cookies, and I won't stand over you trying to fix them. Just for this afternoon, I will take us to McDonald's and buy us both a Happy Meal so you can have both toys.

Just for this evening, I will hold you in my arms and tell you a story about how you were born and how much I love you. Just for this evening, I will let you splash in the tub and not get angry. Just for this evening, I will let you stay up late while we sit on the porch and count all the stars. Just for this evening, I will snuggle beside you for hours, and not worry about what else I should be doing. Just for this evening when I run my fingers through your hair as you pray, I will simply be grateful that God has given me the greatest gift ever given. I will think about the mothers and fathers who are searching for their missing children; the mothers and fathers who are visiting their children's graves instead of their bedrooms; and the mothers and fathers who are in hospital rooms watching their children suffer senselessly, and screaming inside that they can't handle it anymore. And when I kiss you goodnight I will hold you a little tighter, and a little longer. It is then, that I will thank God for you, and ask Him for nothing, except one more day..."

-Sally Meyer copyright 1999

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Hello Megan and Joshua
What a very nice post. I sat here crying while I was reading, wondering how parents have the strength to go through something like that with there child, I couldn't even imagine. We do have so much to be thankful for.

Very cute pictures of Joshua.
We hope you all are doing very well
Joshua have fun with aunt Libby this weekend!