Monday, November 17, 2008

Waterlogged and Puddles of Tears

Where should I begin about this weekend? I don't have pictures, because quite frankly, they wouldn't be pretty...not even a little bit.

Friday was a very busy, but very fun day with Joshua. We did more things than I can possibly write about. Suffice it to say that there wasn't any grass growing under our feet. We had our carpets cleaned at the house in the morning, and the sloshing of water under your feet as you walked around was pretty unenjoyable. So we got out of the house as much as possible to go to places where the floors were dry. We ate some "pizza pizza pizza" (as Joshua calls it) for supper and finally the rugs were dry enough to walk on without splashing.

Saturday morning we got up and got ready for a very chilly, wet day at PSU. That's the understatement of the decade. Now, I don't think I need to defend how big of a PSU fan I really am...most people who would be reading these little tidbits of life in the Dugan household know that we take PSU football pretty seriously. We don't miss games without good cause, and we aren't fair-weathered fans. But this was a little ridiculous. It poured pretty much the entire time we were there, except for a few "teaser" moments where you thought..."Oh, thank goodness." And then the drops got bigger. Water was dripping off of the people in front of you to the point where it layed in your lap. I was sitting next to a middle-school aged girl who very much enjoyed the "Boom Boom Clap" music that they play at the stadium, and when she did the "Boom Boom" part on her legs, it sprayed me in the face. That's just the kind of day it was. The good news was that we had a lot of fun catching up with Bill and Staci, and they seemed to enjoy themselves. The best part of the day (in my opinion) was a good, home cooked lasagna supper at home when we were back, dried off and attempting to thaw out. There's no place like home. Especially when you have dry pants on.

Sunday's game plan was for me to head to Lewistown for my cousin Kacy's baby shower and to leave Joshua for some special time with Daddy. Joshua did not approve. When I was getting ready to leave, he started with the hysterics. This is never a good sign. Jason and I both agreed that maybe it was best to take him with me. For the most part, it was a good call. He was really well beheaved in the car on the way there and at the baby shower itself. (It helped that he was getting to eat junk food---- he was especially fond of the "green muffins" (cupcakes) and chips.) However, when it came time to come home, he wasn't on the same page as I was. He began whimpering at McClure and was in a full-out hysterical scream, complete with high pitched squeals that will peel the paint off your car until we pulled into our driveway. For anyone wondering, that's about an hour of all out wailing. He did slow down for one two-three minute stretch when I started explaining the wonder of Santa Claus to him. We sang a few Christmas songs to keep his interest, and then he went back to his business. He only choked once, which is a victory. I kept thinking that maybe he'd cry himself to sleep--- which didn't happen. Not even close. And people wonder why "cry it out" wasn't an option for his sleep training issues. My nerves were shot until I got home. And it continued once we got there. Nothing suited him...everything turned into a tantrum...it was wonderful. He went to bed early and slept until 7:30 this morning (unreal by Joshua's standards), so I'm guessing he was just overtired, overstimulated, and sick of riding in the car. Me too. But we did get to see Brooke, Libby, my mom and dad, and other special family members at the party, so I was thankful for that chance. I did get to hold Brooke for a few quick minutes, but not long enough to suit me. I just can't get enough of her!

We're beginning to gear up for the last PSU weekend of the year. It's supposed to be 38 degrees (the HIGH), but at this point the forecast is for dry conditions. It's probably the biggest game of the year with the Big Ten championship on the line, so it'll be an exciting day in Happy Valley. The best part is that Lindsay and Ian are going to be with us for the day. We're planning a good tailgate just for them. Something tells me that this will be reminiscent of the games we used to go to as students at PSU....hopefully our 30-something bones can take the cold like we used to. Maybe I'll just make soup for the crockpot and that'll help. (Nope...we aren't as tough as we used to be!)

Pictures soon, I promise. We have some very adorable bear slippers to show off, so hopefully I can catch a picture of those for you. They're perfect for Bear Hunting...one of Joshua's favorite activities.

1 comment:

Staci Kenney said...

We had a great time with you guys this weekend! Thanks so much for dinner. I was really good. It was so fun to meet Joshua. He is so cute and smart! I'm sorry your Sunday didn't go well.