Friday, August 28, 2009

"It looks like this might actually be happening, huh?"

"Yep, it's getting serious now."

This was the conversation between Dr. Miller and I yesterday during our checkup for the baby yesterday afternoon. It was almost comical.

At 34 weeks, things are checking out 100% perfectly, which was a relief to me. The aches and pains of the final stretch are starting to sink in, to the point where I almost thought I was in labor on Tuesday with some serious pelvic bone pain and some pretty intense practice contractions. (One or the other wouldn't have had me scared, but the combination deal I was getting had me wondering for a few hours if I ought to be concerned.) I asked about it yesterday, fully expecting my very-matter-of-fact doctor to tell me to suck it up and brace myself because these last few weeks aren't all sunshine and roses. Much to my surprise, they took my reports pretty seriously and checked things out officially, only to find that I just need to suck it up and brace myself because the last few weeks aren't all sunshine and roses. Not really....but there is no activity that would signify that Baby Dugan is attempting to break through the exit door on her own far ahead of schedule. Thank goodness.

I return in 2 more weeks, and then weekly until the big day. Even though our doctor has delivered well over 6000 babies in his career, it's amazing to me that they still get excited as delivery approaches....at least they make it feel like they're excited and you're not just "one more baby" to deliver. Because I'm really starting to get excited to meet this little one (and to get her off my pelvic bone)...but mostly to see who she looks like, what her personality is going to be like, and all of those other things you anticipate with getting to be a part of a new life.

I also registered at the hospital yesterday afternoon. There was a serious baby boom going on- with brand new little people being wheeled about the labor and delivery floor left and right, much to the contrast of my stay there with Joshua. I believe there was only one other baby there when we were there. The hustle and bustle was actually quite exciting and as I waited for my appointment, I just sat in the waiting room watching new dads and visitors coming and going with the happiest smiles on their faces. I can't wait until those are people that we know! They gave me some great information about time schedules for surgery, arrival times, what to expect when you're doing this on a scheduled basis instead of the "hurry-up" style that we earned the first go around. The breastfeeding nazi as I so affectionately (or not) referred to her during my first experience appeared to have turned over a new leaf and answered all of my questions kindly and with great support for what we'd been through the first time. I am optimistic for support in that area, although we made it quite clear that I fully intend to feed the baby without guilt while I'm in the hospital, whether that comes from me or a bottle. I'm no longer afraid of formula feeding since learning that it's not actually rat poison and will not hesitate to move that direction if we're doing a repeat performance of October 2006 (except minus the tears from me and the guilt trip from the nazi, thankyouverymuch).

We'll see Dr. Miller again on September 10th (one very special little girl's #1 birthday!) and then start the once a week rotation.

Joshua's only question was (once again) if I got his baby sister out of my tummy yet. When I told him that today wasn't the day he said, "Soon Mommy?" Yep. Soon buddy.

2 comments:

BrookesMommy said...

HOORAY for good reports! And HOORAY that those scary pains are just part of the process - I remember them all too well :)

Amanda said...

Thank You Megan for your prayers. You have no idea how much that means to us.

I did not catch Dateline last evening. Thanks for sharing. I will have to see if I can maybe watch it online.

Hope your family is doing well and I guess we will see you at Brooke's party.
Thanks Again