Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Worried about poop...

For me, being a mom has been a lot of things. Before Joshua was born, I actually was told or saw a quote that has stuck with me. Whether it came from a wise friend, an email forward or a Hallmark card I'm not certain, but it's been so true. It was something like, "The decision to become a mom is the equivalent of choosing to forever have your heart go walking around outside of your body." Something like that. And how true that's been for me, and so many other friends who have described the experience similarly. These little people are born, placed into our arms, and we're forever changed. Mostly, it's been in a good way and I wouldn't go back and change it for all the tea in China.

You're probably wondering what a serious quote like that has to do with a blog post whose title includes the word "poop". Well, let me see if I can take you on my train of thought. This may be a glimpse into my thought process that proves my insanity...I'm not sure. But we'll see how I can do.

For me, one of the biggest changes of motherhood has been the constant feeling of worry that I have felt since finding out that I was pregnant for the first time in January of 2006. In an attempt at full disclosure, I should point out that worrying was not new to me. It's something I've practiced and practiced and practiced all my life. Frankly, it's something most Richards are really good at. I can remember worrying about things when I was in elementary school--- like forgetting my gym clothes or my umbrella, like how I'd do on a test or an assignment, like worrying what others thought about me, when my friends weren't the least bit concerned. This didn't resolve itself throughout the rest of my education and probably was heightened in college when there wasn't anyone else around to worry about me, so I felt the need to do it all for myself and everyone else around me (although I now know how silly it was to think that no one was worrying about me...my parents surely were in their very own panic attack at having me away from home with 40,000 people they did not know and likely would not have approved of). Jason distinctly recalls my "speeches" to him via IM when we were in college. He'd be telling me about his plans to go out to a party on a Friday (or a Tuesday) night at which point I'd begin to worry about him. (Who's driving? Don't you have classes tomorrow? But you're not 21 yet!) I worried about everyone. So the idea that being a mom heightened my sense of worry wasn't really a shock. But the things that worry me have been comical.

Lauren has been a poop every time you change her diaper kind of girl ever since we've met. Usually she pooped WHILE you were changing her diaper. I always thought that was sort of her little joke and if she could chuckle, she would have, just to see me scamper around to get a diaper fast enough to avoid an outfit change. Being the worrier that I am, breast feeding has been an interesting lesson in trust and patience for me. But I always knew that as long as diapers were wet and dirty (and trust me, I have the counts, sizes and frequency of what is "proper" all noted for reference) that things are going OK. Well, the little lady threw me for a loop over the past couple of days and has changed her pooping ways. It was enough to make me almost call the doctor on more than one occasion. (Until I talked myself out of it due to not wanting to be that mother who calls in about her baby's poop.) So our 8-10 dirty diapers a day went down to none since Saturday, and then one on Monday and Tuesday.

This mother worry had me Googling things that I never dreamed I'd Google. (And just as a side note, I wondered what on earth moms did PRIOR to Google for situations like this!) Apparently this is normal and babies get really good at absorbing all of what they're eating at this age, so there's less to waste. As long as she's wetting diapers which she is with unbelievable frequency, and she doesn't seem to be in pain or changing her behaviors otherwise, we're fine. But good grief. I was shocked at how quickly I went into a state of panic over pooping.

And if pooping is going to do it to me, what in the world is my life going to be like when I've got REAL things to worry about----- like driving, or dating or seeing them get their hearts broken for the first (or 10th) time. Luckily, practicing on things like poop breaks us all in little by little.

So, did I connect the dots on that one?

---------------------------

In other news, Joshua went to his 3 year checkup yesterday at the doctor's office. We had talked lots about it, and he was slightly less hysterical than on past trips. I still stand by my creative idea that pediatricians should have two offices--- one for sick visits and shots that looks just like a regular doctor's office, and one for well visits that resembles Chuck E Cheese. There should be a big slide that you come down into a giant ball pit when the nurse calls their name. They could slide right into their exam room and have a grand old time. Serve snacks. Give out balloons. Make it fun. Maybe then they wouldn't have the association of the 27 shots they've received since they were miniature that all comes flooding back to them upon entering the door to the facility. But I digress.

Josh weighed 29.75 lb (27th percentile) and was 39" tall (83rd percentile). His BMI was 13.6....0 percentile. It was suggested to us that we feed him more. I was half annoyed at the comment, although I was also fully expecting to have the conversation. I kindly suggested that the doctor was more than welcome to join us for dinner (or breakfast or lunch) anytime to give us some pointers on how to get him to eat more. He said that he's not really concerned, and that they worry far more about kids who are too heavy than too light. Joshua is probably just going to be a long and lean kind of kid, at least for this part of his lifetime. Otherwise he checked out just fine. I had a good chuckle when the nurse was talking through the developmental milestones with me. She asked if Joshua knew one color. I just laughed and said, "Uh huh". Although I was surprised that she would have needed to ask when he had just responded to her with a full dissertation on how he was doing and what all his morning had entailed when she asked how he was when exchanging pleasantries. His heart was broken when it came time for his flu shot. I hate that his checkups coincide with the annual flu shot timeframe, but not enough to pay two $20 copays to bring him another time and keep the association of the checkups shot free.

While we were at the doctor's office, Lauren spent a snuggly hour with Grandma. She was asleep with a full belly when we left and was just beginning to stir when we arrived back home. I believe both she and Grandma had a ball.

Milestone-wise, Lauren has begun smiling at us when she's happy and has begun cooing the sweetest little sounds with her raspy voice. Oh how it did my heart good to see that first precious "on purpose" smile on Friday. It's infrequent, and I've yet to snap a picture of a good one, but she's starting to show that precious personality that I can't wait to get to know. She still enjoys being held more than I would personally prefer, but I'm giving us both some slack on that by remembering that she'll only be this little for a little while. And if she wants to spend that time close enough that I can smell her sweet baby breath while she sleeps, that's 100% fine by me. The cleaning might not be getting done with the regularity I would have hoped, but I'm in love with this precious little girl, and that's WAY more important than empty laundry baskets.

And now, to end the most rambly post ever...here are a few pictures.

On Monday afternoon, we went to Darla's house to let the kids jump in their bounce house. This was snack time. We played in the leaves, jumped in the bouncer and played with every toy and yard tool they had. The little babies were in our arms enjoying the snuggles. I have yet to actually touch baby Daphney, but hope to by the time we put the kids on the bus to kindergarten.

And here's my favorite girl....so sweet!!

No comments: