Monday, October 25, 2010

Arrrrrrgh Matey! Happy Birthday Joshua!



I almost can't believe that Joshua is really 4 years old today.  It doesn't seem possible that it's really my 4th anniversary of becoming a Mommy, but to look at Joshua's growing body, growing attitude and growing spirit, I guess there's no denying it.  With the reflection that I've done in the past few weeks after celebrating Lauren's first birthday and now Joshua's fourth, I can only say that I am blessed beyond what I deserve.  And I am grateful to God for the blessings that he has given to me in these two, beautiful, full-of-life children who teach me so much and humble me so greatly every day.

I don't know whether it makes me a bad Mom or not, but Joshua has never had a birthday party before with his whole family.  Let's just say that space has been an issue over the years.  And so was the swine flu that plagued us last October 25th, cancelling the John Deere tractor party that I had planned.  (Go back in the blog history to read about that if you missed it last year!)  But this year, our little buddy requested a pirate birthday party....so that's what we had.

After church yesterday, Grandma and Grandpa, Nana, Pap, Aunt Libby, Uncle Zig and Brooke all made their way to Milton for Joshua's pirate party.  We opened some presents, sang Happy Birthday, ate some pirate cupcakes (complete with little ships for them to sail in) and dug for treasure in a makeshift treasure chest that I painted and filled with styrofoam pieces.  Joshua enjoyed his pirate headband and eye patch, although the novelty of only being able to see out of one eye wore off about 17 seconds after he first tried on his beloved patch.  But it made for some cute pictures.

Everyone had a great time.  And it was wonderful to be together with our whole family to celebrate such a special day for Joshua.  I have to confess that I'm not sorry to say goodbye to age 3.  It has not been my favorite.....not even a little bit.  I'm told that 4 is better...and I'm going to rest on the hope that all those who speak from their experience are good foreshadowers of what is to come in our family.  Joshua doesn't need any help being independent or head strong, and it seems those are the characteristics of being 3.  We've had more temper tantrums and crying spells than I care to remember...to the point where it makes you question everything you're doing as a parent.  I told Josh yesterday afternoon that it was his last day to be 3, so he'd better get it all out of his system.  He said he would.  Already he's more compliant!

If I said it once yesterday, I said it about a thousand times...but we need a bigger house.  There were people on top of people yesterday.  And we would have loved to have shared the party with more of Joshua's friends and our extended families, but there just wasn't space to do it.  So I guess it's a good thing that the Dugans are going to be moving in a few months, huh?

Snuck that right in there, didn't I?

Please don't think I've been holding out, because this is all VERY new information.  Things have really been happening fast at our house lately, but we are really excited to announce that (pending appraisals and inspections that verify the work we've already done) we'll be moving to a bigger, more spacious, more appropriately laid out house sometime between now and the end of 2010.  It all happened a bit by surprise, but when the pieces fall together like they did, you almost can't question it.  (Which is how this Type A, plan every single move, stress about the details Megan is getting through the speed with which things are happening right now.)  To say there are a whole lot of things to work out is an understatement, but pretty soon, 80 Cherry Tree Ln in Turbotville will be our new home.  It's a bit out in the country from the perspective of proximity to my office (but the travel time is no more than 5-10 minutes extra), but it's 10 minutes closer for both Jason and Judy, so that's a good thing.  It's still close to Meadowbrook for the kids and their school transportation issues.  And the house is just perfect for us- move in ready, immaculate in condition, gorgeous cul-de-sac with what appeared to be boat loads of kids.  We're really excited.  Obviously, much more to come on all of that.

Finally, I'll leave you with my favorite picture of Lauren from the weekend---- making one of her many silly faces.  Goodness, I love that spunky little monkey!  I only wish she'd sleep.  (Different post for another day.)

1 comment:

Casner's said...

We've been watching and waiting for the Birthday post. Happy 4th Birthday Joshua. It sounds like you enjoyed your party and we hope you've enjoyed your Birthday Monday as well.