Monday, May 23, 2011

So blessed...

I know that I say it a lot, but I am so very blessed.  But yesterday was one of those days where it was just so apparent that it can't be denied.  Yesterday, instead of attending church as I normally do each week, I had the opportunity to participate in our church's second annual "Be The Church" Sunday.  Volunteers from the church were out in the community, living out our faith in real actions that made a difference to others, showing them God's love through us.

I volunteered to go to the local grocery store and be a part of a mystery shoppers program where donated gift cards were handed out to shoppers who looked like they could use a little help with their bill.  What I thought would be an easy job turned out to be quite challenging, but as we prayed for the right people to come across our path, God certainly provided.  We were able to help a family with a baby in the hospital in Philadelphia who is working just to make ends meet.  We helped a woman is who caring for her grandson with special needs, desperately trying to keep her head above water.  There were so many others- about 20 gift cards in all, many who cried tears of gratitude on their way out of the store.  Some who were so shocked they didn't know what to do or say.

The best part about all of this is that it was totally anonymous.  We were working directly with the cashiers at the store to get the cards to them to be used with their orders without them knowing where it came from.  It wasn't about our church, but only to bless others in a way that meant something to them. 

As it turned out, I think we were just as blessed as any of the families we might have surprised with a little relief at the time of checkout.

After the morning was over, I jumped in the car and went home to spend the afternoon with Joshua and Lauren while Jason enjoyed some golfing time.  I was immediate struck by how unbelievably blessed I am- to have a nice home to live in, to have two healthy kids, to have never worried for a single second about how I would be able to afford to feed them.  I am so thankful, and so humbled by the Lord's provision in my life.

What a day!

1 comment:

Emily said...

We are indeed extremely blessed. I'm glad that yesterday was a great success. I can't wait to hear about it in person.