Monday, July 15, 2013

Feeling blessed.

Today marks my 35th birthday.  Or, as I've been telling myself all day, the sixth anniversary of my 29th birthday.  I certainly have been feeling blessed.
 
Jason and I took the opportunity on Saturday night to head out for some alone time while the kids were with Jen (our new favorite babysitter).  They were having a ball at home, and we were certainly appreciating being out without lugging the kids along.  We went to our favorite Mexican restaurant in Williamsport.  Although it is in a less than desirable part of town, it's worth the risk to get in the door.  The food is really good.  It was nice to have good conversation and hot food and no worries about what or who might have touched a peanut in the last 24 hours.
 
On Sunday morning, we were off to church.  It was fun to watch the kids get up and sing one of their songs from Bible School, as well as watch the slide show during the time that we were waiting for church to begin.  The kids really did have a wonderful time.  We headed home at lunch time to get ready for our very exciting visit from Nana and Pap, and Aunt Libby and the girls.
 
I had mentioned in passing at the Lodge that what I wanted for my birthday was for us to have home made ice cream sometime this summer.  I was shocked, and very pleasantly surprised, when Mom suggested that this weekend would be a good time.  We grilled some steaks on our new grill and did some beans and a salad, as well as a cake that the kids decorated and the ice cream.  Everything was so yummy!
 
What was even better, though, was having the time to spend with everyone.  We're so busy, and so often don't make the time to just be together.  I appreciated that so much--- that Mom and Dad took the time to make the trip to us and lug all of the fixings for the ice cream, and that Libby went to the trouble of packing up the girls and making the trek on her own since Zig had to work.  I know it made for a long night for her last night, but hopefully it was worth it to be able to have the time to spend together.  The kids had a blast running in the sprinkler and throwing water balloons at each other.  They were out there playing and giggling for over 2 hours-- music to my ears.  Maybe not our neighbors, though.  The kids were filthy and exhausted by the time dinner rolled around, but I think that's what makes for a good summer day.  And good memories.
 







This was Mara's first taste of home made ice cream...a Richard tradition.  She wore about half of the bowl, but the part that actually made it into her mouth put the biggest smile on her face.  Me too, baby girl, me too!  Although I have set my next weight loss goal, I think Dad's ice cream and the kids' cake that they made was well worth the diet sabbotage this week.

Three happy cake and ice cream kids!  Lauren couldn't even slow down enough to look at the camera!

So...my wish for my birthday is to fill this year with these kinds of days--- the kind where I am surrounded by people who love me, and who I can shower with the love I have for them.  The kind of days that are full of more laughs than worries, more smiles than tears.  The kind where I can lay my head down on my pillow at night and fall asleep even before I'm done running down the list of blessings I have to thank God for. 

1 comment:

Ruth said...

One's birthday is definitely a day to ditch the diet for a day!! Glad you had such a great day. I wish one of my sisters lived close enough that my kids could play with their cousins more than once a year or once every two years.