Thursday, January 1, 2015

Home for Christmas-- Part I

I feel like I could just let the pictures do the talking for this post.  But operating with few words really isn't my thing.  I am feeling slightly accomplished since these Christmas pictures are only a week late.  Last year's Christmas pictures are still on my camera card, shamefully.  They never made it to the posting stage for no good reason and a million not so good reasons.
 
The weekend before Christmas we headed to Lewistown to celebrate Christmas with the Richard side of our family.  This trip was the 4th round trip I had made to Lewistown in the course of the week, after being home several times to be with my family as we paid tribute to my Pappy Ray and laid him to rest.  To say we were all weary was an understatement.  In fact, when we woke up on Saturday morning with a packing list a million miles long and a to do list equally as daunting, it was not a welcome surprise for Jason to wake up very sick.  I tried to talk him out of making the trip with us, but he was sure he could manage the trip.  It was very clear that he was in bad shape, though, when he pulled the car over and asked me to drive the rest of the way to my parents' house that morning.  In our nine years of marriage, that had never happened before.
 
We pressed on, and headed for Stacie's house for the party.  She and Noah were, once again, willing to host the whole mess of us and all of our stuff.  The kids got to quick work playing and giggling.  Brewen and Dre were there, and I think Joshua quite enjoyed having a few boys there to play with.  When Ridge and Reed arrived shortly after us, the boys almost equaled the girls! 
 
Jason had to make an early exit from the party when he requested a ride back to Mom and Dad's shortly after we got to Stacie's.  He spent the rest of the day and all of that night resting at their house, trying to feel better.  I felt awful to leave him at the house, but there wasn't much I could do to help.  Libby was mostly absent from the festivities, as well, because Brooke was also sick.  We certainly missed them being there.
 
We enjoyed great food, the kids had a fun gift exchange, and there were lots of laughs.  The only tears came as we gathered to sing our Christmas medley, and all of us addressed the fact that we were really missing Pap. I wonder how many years it will be until we can make it through that song without breaking down.  I had a horrible time with Silent Night at our church's Christmas Eve service as well...just missing him and the incredible joy he had for Christmas.  I think we're all feeling the absence of some of that joy, even as we mark our 2nd Christmas without him here on Earth with us.
 
As always, my heart was blessed to be able to spend a day with our family.  Nothing makes me miss living in the same town as everyone more than laughing together, telling old stories, seeing the kids have a blast together, and then having it all come to an end.  No doubt, being a Richard is among the things I am most grateful for. I only hope that times like these will help our children to feel a tangible connection to that family identity as well.
 
 The kids were a bit anxious to get to the gift opening.  Funny...I remember it being exactly the same way when I was little.
 



 Mara got an adorable Melissa and Doug pediatric nurse set to help take care of her babies.  She loves it!  Emily...I thought you'd get a kick out of this!
 
 Lauren's exchange gift was the game Barbeque Party.  She had a great time playing it with Freda and Aunt Rhonda!
 
 I absolutely loved seeing these kiddos together.  Mara and Reed, born a short 8 weeks apart from each other, were fast friends.  Both of them are spunky, spirited and full of it.  But adorable.
 
 
My sweet Lauren and her Nana.  Love this one!
 


No comments: