Wednesday, February 11, 2015

The loss of Wednesdays.


It is Wednesday. And I just put a post up on Monday. I know you're shocked. Truth be told, I am as well. It just seems that as I prioritize the days and all of the things that require my doing, blogging doesn't seem to be making it to the head of the class. I so wish it was because I have so much joy when I write. And I know that I will never regret capturing my heart on even the mundane days that seem like there isn't anything of consequence to write down.  And so, as I sit at Lauren's dance class watching her pink tutu'ed self twirl and stretch out of the corner of my left eye, while also watching Mara entertain herself with some crayons, Purple Baby and a bag of chex mix out of my right eye, I will make a few notes about today. 

Our Wednesday routine has gotten a little out of hand in recent weeks. I will be honest and tell you that I am a little stingy with the hours between 5:00 and 8:00 every night. I made a promise to myself that we wouldn't sacrifice family dinners in exchange for all manner of activities.  But I met my match on Wednesdays when Lauren's 4:45 dance class in Lewisburg intersects with Joshua's 6:00 basketball practice in Milton and Jason's firefighter training class in Montgomery...in case you wonder, that is exactly 30 minutes drive time from either of the other two locations. And so, I find myself alone in the running department on Wednesday nights. I bring Josh home from school at 3:00 and trade him for the girls. We then head to the office for just a few minutes (but it somehow makes me feel better).  At 4:20 we head off for downtown for dance class which ends at 5:45. Then we have to feed the girls somewhere and head to the church to catch the end of Joshua's basketball practice. By this time you can imagine Mara's delight in sitting to watch someone else do something after waiting at Lauren's dance. It is lovely. At 7:00 or so we head home to do all of the normal jobs we normally have to do between 5-7 on a non crazy night- pack lunches, sign all of the books/papers/etc from school, practice math facts and Joshua's Bible verse, empty a dishwasher, wash/dry/fold/put away some clothes, showers/tubs, stories and finally bed. Honestly.  In some ways I am grateful that it all hits one night right now. But it wears me out.  

I know my days are numbered- that soon I will be chasing all three of them and nights that aren't like this will be the rarity. But for now, I am grateful for the opportunity to watch the kids do something they like to do, and to be there to cheer them on. 


No comments: