Wednesday, July 1, 2015

24 hours and counting...

We're in the midst of gearing up to head on our next camping adventure of the summer.  This time, we're headed to western PA to the campground at Nemacolin Resort.  This was a super find last year by Jason, and allowed us to enjoy all of the amenities of the resort without paying the price tag for staying there.  Jason and I have been there a few times on a nice getaway for just the two of us, but the campground seems to be a great fit for us with the kids. 


In the meantime, things are reaching a fevered pitch in terms of preparations.  The camper is parked out in front of the house so that the fridge can get cold.  But it is also mocking me out there.  This morning when I woke up, I swore it was actually saying to me, "You think you're going to be ready to go tomorrow morning by 9 am, huh?  Yeah right."  And so, I am accepting the challenge.  Sometime between this afternoon at 1 when I get home and tomorrow morning, I will load it all up, make all of the beds, put all of the groceries in the cupboards, take an inventory of all of our needed supplies (who wants to get all the way out there and then find out they're out of Kleenex or garbage bags...not me!), bring our clothes out (which, by the way, are all likely in a variety of laundry baskets scattered about the upstairs of the house), and finish cooking.  Last night I mixed up a batch of baked beans that we can cook with our burgers on the 4th of July in a crock pot that I'm going to take, as well as a big batch of pasta salad.  Whoopie pies are in the freezer...because it isn't camping if there aren't whoopie pies, say the kids.  Today I need to mix a batch of Neen's famous dip, make Lauren the banana muffins that she requested, make a zucchini bread (because apparently I am a glutton for punishment because I have my heart set on this), and bake an apple pie. 


Jason will handle the outside preparations like packing the truck with the kids' bikes and the grill and the coolers of drinks.  And then we'll have to get all of Toby's stuff around (crate, food, treats, toys) since he will be coming along. 


Oh, and then tomorrow morning we'll load up all of the toiletries and enough snacks and activities to *hopefully* entertain everyone for the 4 hours we'll be in the car.


Maybe the camper is right.


But I'll say this... When we arrive, it'll be awesome.  We'll be swimming by tomorrow afternoon (I hope).  There are all sorts of July 4th activities that have been planned including a kids' carnival that we're hoping to check out.  There are fireworks planned for Saturday evening that we're hoping to be able to watch from around our campfire (that'll be a first...and hopefully won't scare Toby half-way to death).  And then there are all the other things that there are to do out there--- the zoo, playground, bowling, gymnastics center for jumping on the trampolines, etc.  We're really looking forward to a great weekend.


I'll see what I can do to get some good pictures along the way.  Hope to be back with a good post on Monday.

No comments: