Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Memories Instead of Presents

I had a period of time this Christmas where I was on my soap box about my desire to have a "no gift" Christmas. I was feeling overrun with stuff and things already at the house and the thought of piling the house full of boxes of more stuff  made me feel like I was suffocating. Although I didn't get my wish because...hello, Scrooge...we did manage to pull off one less gift and replace it with a fun day together with Libby, Zig, Brooke and Hayden. This past Saturday was our lucky day, and I absolutely loved watching the kids enjoy the anticipation of it.

Each of the kids had gotten a box with a Build A Bear gift card, Hershey Kisses and a letter telling them of our plans together. We all met in Harrisburg at the mall with the closest Build A Bear and let the kids pick any animal they wanted. We ended up with a Superbowl Bear, an Elsa Bear complete with a crown and wand, and a Monkey in pajamas akin to the ones I am certain Richard Simmons wears to bed each night (not that I would know).





Although Josh may be pushing the upper limit of where Build A Bear is cool, he was a great sport and seemed to enjoy himself a lot. And that Superbowl bear has been his snuggle buddy ever since in his bed. 

After the stuffing of the creatures, we headed to Hershey to take the kids to Chocolate World where it was surprisingly reasonable in terms of crowd size. We didn't know what to expect with the Farm Show going on that weekend, but had hoped to not be managing five children who see and smell all manner of chocolate through crowds that gave us hives. The kids absolutely loved the ride--- so we did it a few times. And let's be honest, those singing cows are just adorable. 

Watching the kids' eyes light up gave Jason and I both the idea that it may be time to consider our next Disney trip for 2017.  The goal had been to get there when each of the kids are 6 because of how magical it still was for Josh when he was 6. We will miss that window slightly but I think we will begin planning that for next winter. (May be a fun non-present Christmas idea for next year to give them a countdown to their trip and not mention anything about it before then.)




Poor Jason missed this picture because he had gone for a cup of coffee while we rode the ride a second time. We all had such a great time together. 

After Chocolate World, we went to dinner  at Red Robin. I think it was more of a zoo than Chocolate World had been. But we didn't have to wait too long and all enjoyed our supper together. 

I loved the time together and being able to watch all of the kids enjoy themselves and being together. I am hoping a new tradition has been born here-- of a few les boxes under the tree and a few more precious memories tucked away in our hearts. 






No comments: