Sunday, January 10, 2016

New Year-- New Chances

I love new beginnings. And so it is no surprise that I really enjoy the beginning of a new year. Our New Year's Eve plans aren't usually anything exciting because...well, no party animals here.  But I usually spend those awesome days between Christmas and New Year's thinking about my hopes and plans for the coming year. 

I get giddy over putting the first new marks into my planner. It is almost strange, but I wait until that last week to start getting anything into the new calendar. Imagine my excitement this year when the whole last week of December was included in my 2016 planner with Jan 1st being at the end of the week. I was super excited. 

As I reflected on 2015, there were definitely things that I hoped to improve upon. The best way to describe it was that I felt, the whole year long, that the tail was wagging the dog a bit. I was moving along at the pace of life- which seemed frantic most of the time. I know times like that are inevitable but the whole year shouldn't feel that way, I don't think. I managed to maintain my weight loss, but I was very sloppy about it. I would get careless with food and then gain. And then be disciplined again and lose it. So it is no wonder I felt frustrated to end the year a few pounds heavier than I began it. My ability to take care of myself was like a big giant hampster wheel, it had seemed. I had also fallen off from writing, and it is never good for me when that happens. My gratitude journal was mostly up to date, but the blog had suffered and I missed it. And so, a few hopes and plans for 2016 started to take shape. 

In 2016...

I will work hard to finally get to the weight I want to be.  It will require about 30 pounds to disappear. And then that isn't the ideal weight, but I would be happy if I could maintain there.  We have purchased a treadmill and I will be waking up earlier to use it before work in the mornings. I will have to give myself grace on that some days but it will be a huge help. 

I am working on reading through the Bible with the help of an app from Compass Bible Church that gives an Old Testament and New Testament reading for each day.  The pastor I listen to on my ride home each day on Sirius talks about it a lot and so far I really like it. I am hoping God will somehow talk me through Leviticus and all of those Kings. I struggle and stall there usually.  Oh, and the "begats". I could be in trouble there too. 

I want to write more-- to somehow make time because I never find it when I let the day dictate whether or not there will be any extra.  I am still working on my thankful list to record at least 5 ways every day that I have seen God in action or things that He has blessed me with. And the blog is getting some much needed attention. Writing is so therapeutic for me-- it is just something I need to do for me. And I am giving myself the permission to do it. 

Those are the biggies. I am also working on making more time for connections with other friends. When I look at the time I was out of the office last year, other than when we went away camping or to the beach, I was mostly using that time to chase my tail. Shopping for this thing, packing for that thing, never really using the time for what I needed. So I am making plans for real time with people I care about. I feel like we all have so much to give to each other, but we need to do it face to face. I am learning that the gift of time is truly the best we have to give.  

So-- that is a lot of words about a lot of things, but all plans are already in motion. I am excited about 2016. So many opportunities to make this a great year. 

No comments: