Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Thanksgiving 2016

We were oh so pleased to leave behind the sickness that plagued our household for the entire beginning of the month of November.  Truly, it was 3 weeks of yuck around here, which ended with Jason knocking on death's door over the week leading up to Thanksgiving.  He even agreed to go to the doctor--- which is saying something.  Luckily, whatever the crud was that had everyone but me down for the count seemed to have been chased out by our sheer hope and blind faith that somehow we'd all see the other side of this thing.  I am almost convinced that it was flu-esque, and that explains why I was spared, because I am the only one of us who has had my flu shot this year.  I've had the kids scheduled to get theirs a few times, and each time it was either cancelled by the doctor's office due to lack of vaccine supply, or someone was starting with the illness.  And so...consider me grateful, first and foremost, for three children and a husband who were once again vertical and no longer hacking up lungs in order to celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday.

Wednesday of last week was what I will lovingly call a whirlwind where I failed every single person in my family.  First was poor Toby (not a person, I know, but go with me on this) who gave me the saddest look when we dropped him off at the kennel.  He seemed all excited when we got in the car-- I think, in his mind, he was thinking, "Oh isn't this so nice, they're taking me for a ride..." which was quickly followed by, "Oh crap...not this place."  Once we were in the door, he quickly turned and tried to make a bee line for the back door to leave again.  That broke my heart.  Lucky for me, there wasn't much time to lament the poor holiday accommodations for our furry friend, because I had not one or two, but three school parties to attend.  Please know that these parties lasted a total of 2 hours, but not the same 2 hours if that makes any sense.  I thought I had it figured out when to go to each classroom and how much time I could spend there, but it all fell apart when Lauren had a skit that she wanted me to see that coincided with policing Josh's class snacks to make sure the coast was clear on peanut food (it wasn't, by the way, which is why I was there).  I should add that Mara was having no part of me leaving her classroom to go to the others'.  And so, all three were disappointed in the amount of time I got to spend with each of them, and I was left sweating and very stressed by the time we left to come home.  Friends (who were still in the classrooms with their children) were sending me pictures of each of the kids doing their thing which was so sweet, but it made me realize that I'm going to need reinforcements for the Christmas parties if we're going to make this work.




We left for Lewistown around 2:00 after getting packed up and ready to go.  I don't think we've been to Mom and Dad's for an overnight since the summer, so it was so nice to think about the idea of staying there with them for 2 nights.  The kids were thrilled.  We were all sad to learn that Brooke and Hayden were both a bit under the weather, but after a sad Wednesday night, they surely didn't seem sick at all and we all had a great time.  We watched lots of movies, laughed a whole bunch, ate a delicious meal and even had some arts and crafts time with Aunt Libby and Uncle Zig in their garage when Nana and Pap needed some quiet time at the house sans 5 rambunctious kids.  We stayed until Friday morning, and really did have a wonderful visit.  









When we got home Friday, we had big plans to get the house decorated for Christmas prior to going to pick up Toby at the kennel.  Since we couldn't get him until 5:00, it was perfect for us to get the tree up and the rest of our Christmas decorations prior to bringing him back home.  There's just something about getting the tree up and seeing all of the lights and colors of the holiday décor.  It makes me want to sit in the dark living room, with only the tree lights on, with a cup of coffee and a good book.  I've been obliging myself that luxury between 6:00-6:30 each morning, not with a book, but while I put my makeup on before heading in to the office.  It's as good as it's going to get, so I'll take it. 

Hopefully you enjoyed the pictures.  We have so much to be thankful for that one day really doesn't seem like enough time to ponder it all.  Suffice it to say that this family of mine-- imperfect as we all are-- is on the top of the list this year for me.  So grateful for a few days to spend with them just being together.





No comments: