Thursday, September 27, 2007

Airing Dirty Laundry- Joshua Style

I can't help but share a funny story about Joshua from this morning. I've been chucking all day at the mental picture of it.

For all those who have been concerned about my sleep, Joshua seems to be on a much better pattern lately. I've been waking rested and with energy and have only been needing a small coffee to get me jump started. I much prefer this to our other arrangement (the one where I need toothpicks to hold my eyes open). So, last night, I didn't hear a peep out of the baby from the time I laid him down at 9:00 or so until this morning at 6:20 when I woke up to get ready for the day.

Our rule is that I usually keep his door shut while I shower and get ready for work. If he doesn't see us milling around, he'll play (sometimes quietly and sometimes not) in his crib until we get him, usually around 7:00. Many times he'll end up babbling himself back to sleep for a little while.

This morning he was babbling away while I was getting dressed. And then it was silent. I figured he had fallen back to sleep. So at about 7:15 I went in to check on him and found him waist deep in his laundry from his dirty clothes basket. All I can figure is that he was reaching through the crib slats (face probably squished up against the side of the crib) and fished all of his clothes through the railing. It was impressive---- the whole basket was empty! Now, of course, I did not get the camera to capture this little episode, but I hope my description does it justice. This was just pure fun to watch the proud look on his face when I asked him what he had done. Suffice it to say that tomorrow I'll have a camera ready just in case.

Another new trick that Grandma taught him. When you ask him what you say when you take a drink of water, he now says "aaaaaaaaaaaaaah" with this breathy voice like he actually does when he gets a drink of water. I nearly died last night when I heard him do it.

So I'm not sure whether fishing dirty laundry through crib slats or saying "aaaaaaah" are the real life skills that are going to take him places in his life, but it makes for a great laugh for us. What a character this little guy is turning into. Wonder where he gets that from?

No comments: