Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Observations from music class...

I think Joshua is officially getting with the program now at music class. Last night was session #3 and he seemed to really enjoy himself- lots of giggles and smiles last night. His favorite song is still the "flea" song where the flea climbs up on him. He did a great job banging on his lollipop drum last night. And he held the teacher's hand to walk around for "Go Round and Round the Village". His little feet still get a bit tripped up, but he's doing much better walking and keeping up with the other kids.

It's so funny to watch the kids together and compare personalities. You don't realize how individual they are, even at this age, until you see them in a group and watch what happens. Joshua is a real studier (everyone, please hold the jokes about him being a studying bookworm like me). He's cautious and will really take his time to see what people are up to before he'll join in. For instance, last night the teacher pulled out a monster drum for the kids to bang on. He went right up to the drum and sat down with the other kids, but while they were banging away, he was watching each of them. In a couple minutes, he joined in, but it wasn't without analysis.

Another observation- this one about the moms. The contrast between moms in this class is pretty startling too. I think I'm the only working mother who brings their child to this class- and the looks I get when I come in work clothes if I haven't had an opportunity to change (late appointments with clients, etc.) are really something. Several asked me where Joshua is during the day when I work, and the eye rolls are incredible from the stay at homers. They say, "Oh...(tentatively) that's nice..." but I know what they really mean. There's still a great divide between parents who stay home with their children and those who choose to continue their careers. I always knew that the debate was alive and well, but last evening I really noticed it being played out so obviously in this little silly music class. Many of the moms there are raising bilingual children, which is fine, and some talk to their kids using sign language for everything. Now, please don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no problem with stay at home moms, bilingual children or kids who can communicate using sign language. It's the looks of judgment when you DON'T make the same choices that really get me. And all I can hope is that I'm never a mom who is judgmental of other mothers. Because honestly, I believe in my heart (with the obvious exception of parents who shouldn't be parents at all) that all parents make the absolute best choices they can for their kids. And if someone doesn't do things the same way I would for whatever reason, that doesn't make me wrong or them wrong. That's the beauty of parenthood...we can all make choices for our children and our families, and they're all 100% right if they've got the best interests of our kids at heart. My goal through this whole adventure- to help Joshua become all he's meant to be. Hopefully we're raising a healthy, well adjusted, compassionate, kind and loving little boy who will make someone a wonderful husband like his daddy is to me, and a wonderful daddy to his own children. And I'm pretty sure that none of the choices we've made for him will negatively impact those goals.

That whole thing sounded way more dramatic than it needed to...but the experience last night truly got me thinking. So to all of our family & friends who have been such a great source of positive support to us, thank you. I hope I can return the favor someday.

2 comments:

The Bingamans said...

Well AMEN SISTER! And I'll leave it at that I don't think your viewers need a rant on top of that! I'm right there with you and I hope this class continues to be fun for both of you! Enjoy Josh and ignore those mother's. What's one more thing for them to talk about, let them think your a snob and snob them! :-)haha

Megan said...

Hi everyone. My limited blogging experience has me a bit puzzled about this "tara" person's comment. She is not known to me and apparently has decided to turn Joshua's site into an advertisement. What a shame. Hopefully this is an isolated thing and I don't have to disable the commenting on the site. Just know that this is not someone we know or anything that we advocate. We just wanted to share Joshua news through this site. Our apologies.