Tuesday, March 4, 2008

New Tricks...


I thought you might enjoy these pictures from this morning, as well as a quick update about a few new tricks.

The first picture is what Joshua does when you ask him how much he loves someone. When I took this picture this morning, I asked him "Joshua, how much do you love your daddy?" He puts his hands up in the air like he says "THIS MUCH, MOM!" I think that this comes from his "Guess How Much I Love You" book, but that's just a guess.

We are also onto some new things with talking. There's a story in his big Golden Book treasury about a little girl who pretends to be all kinds of animals. It's really cute and rhymes. Here's an example. "A bird can fly. So can I. A cow can moo. I can too." Well, there are about 20 different animals in this little rhyming story including some obscure ones (like moles and bugs and crabs), not things that we usually talk about or see in stories. Anyway, we were reading this on Sunday and I started leaving off the last word in the story. Joshua has now taken to filling in the blanks with the right word about 90% of the time. I nearly fell off of the couch. I was getting so excited that he could do it that I yelled for Jason to come and see it for himself. Then Joshua just looked at us like "I'm just reading with my mama, what's the big deal you guys?" But he's definitely got the concept of rhyming and is putting the right words into the story to match the pictures. When I told this to Libby she assured me that her perception that Joshua was smarter than we think must definitely be true. Very fun stuff indeed.

That's it for today...who knows what he'll come up with tonight. Stay tuned! Have I mentioned how much fun this stage is? If I could have all 16 month olds (as long as they sleep), I'd take them!

Have a great day everyone!

1 comment:

BrookesMommy said...

LOOK AT ALL OF THOSE TEETH!!
Holy Cow!

I've been telling you for months that this child is smarter than we ever thought - and one of these days, he's going to look up at you and speak in full sentences like he's been saving up all of his words!

He is my favorite man ever!