Monday, November 3, 2008

Thankful...

So, the fascination with Joshua's doctor kit continues at our house. No sooner was breakfast finished than he had his stethoscope around his neck and was checking into things. I am very hopeful for a prosperous career...with college scholarships granted.

I also wanted to share a little project Joshua and I are working on now that it's officially November. We started talking on Saturday about what it means to be "thankful" for something. Try explaining that in 2 year old terminology. But we managed, and I think he's starting to grasp the concept. Of all the responsibilities we have as parents, I feel really strongly about teaching Joshua to be a grateful, thankful little person. I want him to appreciate the things he has and the opportunities he has and the nice things that are done for him. He doesn't have to look far for things to be thankful for, that's for sure. He has been showered with so much love, and we're so grateful for that. As I look back on my childhood, I think that was something my parents did an excellent job of (among many other things that I marvel at now that I'm having to direct the same results!). I always knew to be grateful because they taught me to be. So I figure, there's no time like the present to start working on this with Joshua. So, we've decided that we're going to make a "Thankful Tree" during November. Each day, he'll pick something he's thankful for and he'll get to glue a leaf onto his tree with that person/thing on it. So far he's been thankful for "Daddy" (a great choice) on Sunday and "tractor rides" today. A picture of our masterpiece follows. We'll see how this goes...but so far we're having fun. Mostly he loves the glue and getting his fingers sticky.


Music class tonight. Joshua was already excited about it this morning when he was getting dressed. I'll report tomorrow if anything of note took place.

Have a great evening everyone!

2 comments:

BrookesMommy said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Thankful Tree!

You should have been a Kindergarten teacher!!!

Lindsay, Ian and Lila said...

I too love the Thankful tree. I plan on stealing this idea in about 2 years :)