Monday, January 26, 2009

Children's Discovery Workshop






It was so nice to play hooky with Emily and the kids on Friday to go and check out the Discovery Workshop in Williamsport. I have to tell you, Joshua had a blast and is STILL talking about it. He's getting to the age where these hands on activities are really appealing to him, and I can generally take him places without the fear of him killing himself, having a total meltdown, sleeping through the whole thing, or puking all over everyone. (Those of you with little kids know what I'm saying...) So we're starting to round the corner on going out into the world to explore, and I have to tell you...I'm loving it.

Emily and I didn't get to spend as much time catching up as I would have liked, although we had some great conversations in small chunks. Something tells me that this is just like our moms used to talk to each other when we were little...in pieces, between boo-boos and snacks, whenever you can manage. What fun it's been to reconnect with Emily---- in case anyone doesn't know, we were 18 Edgewood Place and she was 16 Edgewood Place when we were very little. She was my very first friend and has a part of just about every memory I have prior to age 6 when they moved to Lewisburg. We were big wheel riding fools when we were little. She's a fantastic mom who I really look up to, someone who knows full well the struggles of work-home balance and who helps me keep it all in perspective, and someone I'm really blessed to have as a friend. We don't see each other as often as we'd like, but go back and read that work-home part again and it's pretty clear why. Thank goodness for email and blogs, though. And we're working on seeing each other's real faces more frequently.

So, on Friday, we spent most of our time watching and following our respective small people, but would manage to talk a bit when they were in one spot (or in the tunnel). Speaking of the tunnel, they have this big long tunnel that goes from one side of the place to the other, which all of the kids really seemed to enjoy. It was helpful to have 2 Mommies on hand---- one of us would put them in the tunnel, knowing that we didn't have to sprint to the other side to catch them when they came through. There was a wickedly slippery slide that Joshua nearly bit it on a couple of times, but as long as one of us was close, he was OK.

We ended our fun morning with a parking ticket (darn it) and a trip to Daddy's office. All of his co-workers said they didn't think Joshua was real...since they hadn't seen him in person. But we had a quick visit there to say hello to everyone and eat about 8 million pretzels out of Yondy's stash, and then back home we went. It was way past lunch time, and far too close to naptime for any great nutritious lunch, so I figured that the boat load of snacks Josh ate on the way home counted. He rounded it out with some cheese and crackers when we got home, and then crashed into a wonderful nap in the afternoon while I cleaned the house and started about 8 loads of laundry. I believe "played out" would be the appropriate description for Joshua since I had to wake him up from his nap.

Next on our list of adventures......Super Jump. I'm sure it's as fun as it sounds. The next time we feel a hooky day coming on, maybe Emily and I can coordinate again.


1 comment:

Emily said...

Are you tired of me yet? Two comments in one day. Must be a record. I love the pictures from your new camera! They're awesome. We can play hooky anytime. I really want to go to the Super Jump place. You name the date!
Em