Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Music Class Breakthroughs...

It's going to be a wild day in State Farm land today. I have 5 client appointments today (might be a record)....maybe I'm trying to prove that I can still keep the pace I did as a trainee agent...with one other sales appointment that I expect that didn't commit to a time despite my warnings about "the calendar looking a little full". Sounds like a good day to pack lunch, because going out to get something isn't going to happen. But anyway, that's the reason I find myself at 6:50 listening to Joshua snore over the monitor while I give a quick update from music class last night.

You'd have thought it was Christmas, honestly, when I told Joshua yesterday morning that we were going to music class that evening. "Really Mommy? Music Class.......for MEEEEEEEEEE?" I couldn't help but chuckle at his sheer joy. So I raced home (truly) to get my little singing buddy and get him bundled up for class. We were almost late...but we made it to our carpet square just in time. Our breakthrough came early on in the class. One of the first things they always do is to go around the room and ask what we can sing about each child in the circle. We use their names and use an adjective of their choice to describe them that day. (Sometimes we get "silly girl", "sleepy boy", "sneezy girl"...you get the idea.) Almost every single time, Joshua tells me on the way to class that he wants to be the tractor boy. And when the teacher asks him, "Joshua, what can we sing about you today?" he just looks back at her blankly and clutches on to me tightly. Well last night, he said, proud as can be, "I'll be the TRACTOR BOY!" with this big grin on his face. So evidently, it takes us two years to adjust to a new situation and get a routine down. That means by 2nd grade, he ought to be going to school like a champ and not screaming his head off at my departure. At least we know what we're dealing with, right?

He particularly loved "No Bears Out Tonight" (as he always has) and actually led the charge to hide under the tent. For the first year we took classes, he wouldn't even consider going in the tent with the other kids. Last fall, he went with a little coaxing. And now, he's right in there with the others.

I'll work on some pictures for you soon. We spent last evening in total meltdown...and I mean TOTAL meltdown. After supper, everything went straight downhill, so it wasn't great picture material. If we end up with a snow day tomorrow, you can bet I'll snap some. Happy Tuesday everyone!

No comments: