Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Just like my Mom...

I got thinking this morning about our weekend when I was thinking about what I might write about today. That's usually part of my thinking while I'm driving to the office in the morning...not that any of you really needed (or wanted, for that matter) to know what goes on inside this head.

I got thinking about the snow and how much fun we had playing this weekend. And then I flashed back to being a kid myself and how it used to go at home. I always knew when we were going to have a snow day before I even got out of bed or looked at the clock to realize I'd gotten to sleep in. I could smell a snow day immediately----- it smelled like rice pudding cooking. For some reason, my lasting memory of snow as a child is the smell of rice pudding. And that is the reason for my post today. Because evidently, there's something genetic about one's response to snow.

At the news of the impending snow storm coming our way for Saturday, I immediately thought, "I should cook something." And I started planning my grocery list. Before lunchtime on Saturday, we had a big (I don't know WHO I thought was coming to eat this) pan of lasagna ready for Sunday night's supper and a chicken was roasting in the oven for my chicken noodle soup. It really tasted great to come in from the snow and warm up with a homemade bowl of soup. And the lasagna....I won't even go into that. I LOVE LOVE LOVE lasagna, so there's no part of that that wasn't unbelievable. Neither of these things was very diet friendly, and I paid the piper for that when I weighed in yesterday morning (well that, and the liberal snacking I did throughout the week...not a good idea). My 21 pounds lost backtracked a bit, but I'm dealing with that in a serious way this week. But we enjoyed full bellies and a very yummy smelling house while we were snowed in this weekend. Interestingly enough, when I called home on Friday afternoon to check in, Mom already had her chicken noodle soup on the stove for their Friday supper (great minds think alike). I didn't ask about rice pudding, though. I'd bet there was some made.

As something fun for Joshua, I also made some finger jello for him. You'd think it was gold with the way he loves it. He insisted this morning that he should have it for breakfast. I vetoed that idea in a hurry. But, it's fun that he's found something that he enjoys (and that I can bribe him with). A mom needs her tricks...and I'm not ashamed to tell you about mine.

Here are a few pictures of Joshua from this morning. He was full (and I mean FULL) of spunk this morning. My parting words to Judy when I left for the office were "Good luck." He had been threatened with sitting on the steps at least 5 different times, and was seeming to have a great fondness for telling me "no" when I asked him to do something. I was worn out by the time 8:30 rolled around (and he had slept until 7:30 if that's any indication). Hopefully he's settled a bit by the time I get home this evening. But amidst all of this, I did capture these little pictures. He was reading me "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs"....word for word. He made it about half way through the book before something else caught his eye. I wish I had his ability to memorize things...


1 comment:

Emily said...

It's official. We're.definitely family. I made earl go out Saturday afternoon in the snow to get ingredients for lasagna and chocolate chip cookies!
By the way, 21 pounds! That's awesome. I am jealous!