Thursday, February 19, 2009

Updates...Grab Bag Style

I find myself with a few extra minutes this morning (well, not really extra, but I'm choosing to blog over choosing to do the laundry or empty the dishwasher). I never did get around to posting an update yesterday, which I had intended to do. It was one of those days at the office.

Thanks to so many of you who remembered that yesterday was our first doctor's appointment and sent messages wishing us well. It's official---- Joshua's brother or sister has been confirmed by someone who has degrees and tons of experience with this kind of thing. We had an ultrasound yesterday and the baby is looking "blobbish" as can be, which they say is quite normal at 7 weeks and 2 days. We were measuring right on target for an October 6th due date. Options are being discussed for VBAC vs repeat c-section and the doctor seems supportive either way. We did have some talks about how they handle a laboring VBAC mom, and it seems pretty restrictive. One hour of not dilating a full centimeter and you've earned yourself a trip to the OR. I'm not sure I'm up for that kind of pressure--- especially knowing how non-responsive my body was to every type of labor inducer the hospital had last time. But we'll see. The doctor said that if we choose a repeat section, he'd probably schedule for September 30th. (I'm pretty sure Libby has already called off of school! HA!) Everything was good with me, aside from my blood pressure, but that had to do with the mean people who called and yelled at me all afternoon leading up to the appointment. Our very sweet nurse even noted that on the chart. We're scheduled for another ultrasound on March 12th to check growth and dating. And Dr. Miller said that the baby will resemble a baby a bit more by that time as well. I'll try to post a scanned copy of yesterday's ultrasound photo later today. That may require technical expertise that I am lacking, but I'll do my best once I get to the office.

---------------------------------
In Joshua updates, we're mastering a few pretty notable skills. (Remember...I'm a first time mom...it'll be interesting to see if these things wow me again the second time.....although I'm betting they will.)

He loves to play Candy Land! This is a child after my own heart. That was my favorite game as a kid (right up there with Hungry Hungry Hippos which we were never allowed to play because my Dad was always asleep after a police shift and let's face it, that game is LOUD!) Joshua gets a little bossy, but is catching on to the game and knows about taking turns. I consider that a victory with a two year old.

We've been working on him learning to dress and undress himself. It's not been pretty...but he's showing some signs of progress. This week he has managed to get his pajamas on with just a little assistance and, the big news.....he's put his socks on all by himself.....and even the right way. He gets so proud of himself and says, "Mommy, I DID it!" as if he's conquered Mt. Everest. It's so much fun to watch them figure out new things. I have to give Joshua credit on persistence. Although you can tell he's getting frustrated when something doesn't work on his first attempt, he just keeps plugging away at it until he gets it. If only potty training would be going as well.

He has also learned to, pretty successfully, walk down the stairs unassisted. Now, don't get me wrong, we're always right with him, but he can hold on to the railing and handle the steps without me having to have a panic attack about him falling to his death. I'm thinking this one will be important to master prior to October when I'm not likely to be able to lug Josh and the baby down the stairs on either hip.

I'll work on the picture, and maybe one of Joshua if he's feeling cooperative when he wakes up. Which is.......NOW. I just heard him sigh over the monitor like, "Where is that Mommy? It's time to get this day started!" So off I go. Glad we had a few moments together this morning. This is WAY more fun than laundry.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Glad your first appointment went well. How exciting! Let's get together soon.
Emily