Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The book that turned me to mush & pennies...

I went to the bookstore yesterday in search of a book about Easter to read to Joshua. I'm beginning to realize that his understanding of Easter mostly involves plastic eggs with treats hidden inside of them. I know I can do better than that in teaching him what's so special about Easter. So I found a nice book and we enjoyed reading it.

However, on a shelf closeby the Easter section in the store was another book that literally had me transformed into a puddle of mush last night at bedtime. Joshua was clean, groggy, still and covered in his magic sleeping blanket, cuddled up with Bear in my ever-shortening lap. The book was called "Let Me Hold You Longer". I picked it up because it looked to be a nice book about a mom and a little boy and all the phases of his growing up. Suffice it to say that I was not quite prepared for the rip-your-heart-out sentiment within the pages. It starts out talking about how when the little boy was first born, the mom was mostly concerned about his "firsts". (Check. Understand that.) But it goes on to say that it was his "lasts" that she wanted to remember and hang on to the most. The last time she held a bottle to his mouth. The last time they cuddled up with a book together. And on and on and on. All the way up to him leaving to go to college and asking for advice about girls. Yikes. Let's just say I was crying by the time I finished the first page, and it went quickly downhill from there.

The funny part of the story was Joshua. Leave it to him to bring me comic relief when I'm literally melting into a blubbering mess. Normally when he cries, he asks you to "wipe my tears". He insists on a clean Kleenex for every 3 tears that fall from his eyes. It's a little silly really, extremely wasteful as far as tissues go, and I have no idea where it started. But last night as my tears fell like rain, he looked at me with the sweetest eyes and said, "Mommy, should I wipe your tears?" Which only served to make me cry more.

Good book. I'm always a fan of a good cry....for good reasons. And that sweet little boy who calls me Mommy sure does qualify.

------------------------

Pennies.

Joshua and Grandma have a serious date with pennies every morning. Grandma saves them up in her coin purse and lets Joshua count them while he drops them into his piggy bank. They've been doing this for as long as his little fingers could hold a penny between them.

Yesterday when I got home, Judy said, "Joshua, tell Mommy who is on the penny." To which he replied, "Abraham Lincoln".

If only we were showing as much positive momentum in potty training as we were Presidential history. One thing at a time, I suppose. And maybe Joshua could wear diapers to his Jeopardy audition. What do you think?

1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh, how I can completely relate to that book and wanting to remember the "lasts". I remember thinking,
"I wish I would have known that was the last time I would...." I tried to do better with Cooper, but it's not turning out so well. It goes SOOO fast. I tearing up with you.
Last night must have been the night for crying. McKenna and I watched Marley and Me. Great movie, although I only recommend it with a box of tissues and not a tub of popcorn. I'm still emotional over it today.