Tuesday, May 19, 2009

And the old will become new again...

My husband had a moment of brilliance last evening. Not that he isn't brilliant a lot of the time, but this one qualifies for brilliant status on its very own merit.

Joshua has a fascination with garbage trucks. He always has. This is why he religiously stands at the windows on Tuesdays and Fridays when the garbage trucks make their rounds in our neighborhood. He'll tell you (with great enthusiasm) how the garbage man puts the garbage in the truck and then pushes the button and makes the garbage truck eat the garbage "all UP!"

He has had a toy Tonka garbage truck for about a year that he loved to play with, and has most recently found itself in the "sometimes played with" pile.

So last night, Joshua had missed his Daddy so much that he won "play with me" status. (I sat on my ever expanding pregnant duff and looked at a magazine. I may or may not have also eaten a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream.....only me, the scale, and the nurse at Dr. Miller's office will know if I DID or DID NOT indulge in that way). They must have gotten into playing with the garbage truck, because pretty soon the tools came out and batteries were being changed.

And then came the brilliant moment. Jason showed Joshua how to use the automatic part of the truck to actually dump garbage into the back of the garbage truck. We ripped up the little useless subscription cards in my magazine to make "garbage" and Joshua proceeded to dump and undump said garbage until I quite literally pulled him away from the truck to take a bath. He requested that we hurry up and get him dressed quickly this morning because he had "work to do with the garbage truck". And who was I to interfere by suggesting that he do such things as get dressed and brush his teeth?

And so...the old became new again. And quickly rose to status of favorite toy due to Daddy's great idea.

No comments: