Thursday, May 28, 2009

Simple Joys...

Wearing Daddy's sweatshirt...and cracking himself up.



I had intended to post far sooner than this, but this week has gotten away from me a bit. Actually a lot.

I had intended to post about our very own version of "Joshua and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" that we lived through as a family on Monday. But it was a bit dramatic, and may have sounded a bit like I was complaining about my job as Mother to this usually wonderful little boy. And I know that isn't worth recording for the sake of posterity. The only hint I'll give you into the depth of our despair on Monday is that I ended up sleeping on the floor of Joshua's room in the wee hours of the morning (when I so desperately wanted a morning to sleep in...until 7...I didn't think I was asking for too much) using a waytoosmall blanket to cover myself with and a Pound Puppy as a pillow. It got no better than that the entire day. But I'm done now. Wouldn't want to dwell on the negative.

Instead, I'll tell you about the best laugh I've had in a while, granted to Jason and I last evening by our son. We were all watching a bit of TV after supper and had it turned to the George Strait special that was on. Neither Jason or I are big George Strait fans, but I did realize that I knew just about every song that was sung...so maybe I like him more than I think I do. But anyway...

Joshua had decided at supper time that he wanted to wear his socks on his hands. It originally began with him pretending that he was cooking something, and I believe it was too hot to pick up with bare hands. And so......makeshift oven mits. (There's no lack of imagination here.) He proceeded, then, to leave said socks on his little hands for the remainder of the night. He was in his glory when the George Strait show started, because just about every single artist who performed did so with their guitar. And when Josh sees a guitar (or any instrument, for that matter) he has to get his matching one out (or something that could function as that instrument) and "play along". The only bad part for us was that his guitar is quite loud, and plays music that is nowhere close to the same as what the people were playing on TV. So while he played, we nudged the volume up a bit to drown out the "When The Saints Go Marching In" (hard rocker style) and the other Little Tykes classics that this gem of a toy plays. He was playing and singing and dancing along with every person who got up there. We nearly died when Jamie Fox was singing and using his hands a bit more than the other country singers, because Joshua's arms got very animated as well. He was trying so hard to imitate exactly what the others were doing.

Randomly, he kept coming over to me after the songs were done and giving me the sweetest hugs. I swear, I wanted to eat him up. It just melted my heart that he loved me so much that he just had to hug me and couldn't wait a second longer to do it.

Except that after the third or fourth time that it happened, I thanked him for my hug and asked him why I was getting so many special hugs tonight. He looked at me, so seriously....and said, "Mommy....I'm just doing what the singers are doing." (As if to say, "Well duh, Mom. Where have YOU been?") Then I realized that after each song on TV, each of the singers would go over and give George Strait a hug. Talk about bursting a mom's bubble. But it didn't last long as I doubled over in hysterics, trying desperately not to pee my pants. Remember, I'm 21 weeks pregnant! The bladder isn't something we mess with at this stage of the game. What a joy he is.

And somehow, the kink I still have in my neck from my night with the Pound Puppy doesn't bother me so much.

No comments: