Thursday, June 25, 2009

Disproportionate

I can't even begin to tell you how long I started at the word "disproportionate" until I was sure it was spelled correctly. If I'm being honest, I'm not sure it is. But I don't have any other suggestions that look better. But I digress.

I need to share that it appears our son is going to be forever difficult to clothe. After three different attempts at shorts that I was sure I had shrunken enough to stay up on his nonexistent hips, I finally found a pair that fit. I am sorry to tell you that they are size 18 months and from the "last summer" drawer. On the top half of him is a new shirt (which you can see above) that I got from the Children's Place $5.99 sale (love that sale for little boys clothes...girls, not so much) in size 3T. Now what in the world is going on here?

I believe Joshua's metabolism is on speed. Or maybe it's just that he never sits still long enough for any caloric intake to turn into anything besides fuel that he burns off. (I'm thinking I should try his "diet plan" although just watching him is enough to play me out.) Whatever it is, I have to say that I'm starting to get concerned and I will bet you dollars to donuts (I just totally used a phrase coined by my mother, for the record) that I get a lecture about his lack of weight gain when we go for his 3 year checkup in October. By our scales, Josh is weighing in at the same 27.5 pounds that he did this PAST October, which was the last time he was to the doctors. I'm sorry to tell you that he was not clothed at that visit, and he has been clothed every time I put him on our scales at home. (And since I'm in confession mode, I usually weigh him when his diaper is wet because I appreciate that extra half pound in our favor.)

What's a mom to do? I honestly have zero experience in putting on weight on purpose, since all of my life since I was......oh.......six years old has been spent working like a maniac to take it OFF. We do lots of high calorie, but still nutritious foods, but without success. I suggest ice cream frequently as a treat, but Joshua prefers fruit and fruit snacks and the occasional cookie (although he'll only eat one or two). Whose child is this?

And so, disproportionate he will be, at least for now. I record this now so that when he's 14, in the throes of adolescence and eating us out of house and home, I'll have this moment to reflect upon in disbelief. At least I hope so.

-----------------------------

In other news, I have evidence that my reconnection with the old Megan was only temporary. Yesterday, the highly anticipated nursery decor for our baby girl arrived. I was thrilled to find out that the adorable ladybug bedding that I fell in love with online was even more precious and perfect in real life. (Sorry Darla.....too cheap to do Pottery Barn......couldn't bring myself to type in the credit card number.) The OLD Megan, pre-Mommy, would have rushed home, wolfed down dinner and began to assemble all of the stuff and get it ready. At the very least, I would have put it in the washer to freshen it up and make it mine for good.

Instead, I showed it to Judy and Jason and then asked Jason to carry it up to the spare bedroom (where all things go that I simply can't figure out when I'm going to handle them) until I can figure out when to get to it.

For now, I guess I'll stare at it through the plastic bag it's in and admire it from afar. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we'll be ready to make the big switch into the new room for Joshua and then can work on reassembling the crib and get it all set for our little lady to arrive. I find it amazingly hard to believe how quickly this pregnancy is flying by. 25 weeks already. Before long, we'll be getting ready to lay another little baby into that crib and marvel at the miracle of it all. Notice how I skip over the "give birth to the baby" part of it? The, "holy cow that c-section incision smarts when you have to get up from laying in bed"......yikes. Nice, huh?

I'll be sure to share some pictures of what we selected once it's presentable. For now, showing you the big plastic case full of red and white gingham wouldn't have nearly the same effect. But it's really cute....I promise.

-----------------------------

And just because I find this funny, anyone who is wishing to come and visit us after we're home from the hospital should be warned. Just yesterday, I put the first of such visits on the calendar for October 28th. Seriously.

It just so happens that Sue has a class in State College to attend and thought about combining that with a visit to meet the newest Dugan, so we scheduled it. I find it funny because I'm going to be doing a whole lot of nothing.......besides caring for a newborn and helping a 3 year old adjust to becoming a big brother........yet we ironed out the date before anything else came up. I told Sue I thought she had that one just about right. If she's going to make the trek across 80 from Erie, she might as well wait until it's likely that I've had a shower, and there's a good likelihood that I may have makeup on my face. I might even be wearing something besides sweatpants.

I have a feeling our visitation schedule will be far lighter than it was with Joshua and I'm honestly looking forward to that part of it all. There's nothing better than sharing a new baby with people that you love. I just thought it was funny. Maybe you did too.

No comments: