Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It was a bit like an out of body experience...

When I described our trip to Nemacolin using that phrase yesterday, I knew it was a blog post title. Does that indicate too much blogging? Although I won't run down the entire three days that we were away in painstaking detail (as I know I have a tendency to do at times....brevity has never been one of my strengths), I thought I'd list some of the things that we did that were more like the "old" Megan (you know, pre-Joshua) than the real-life one. So here goes...

I had an opportunity to actually TALK to my husband in longer than 17 second bursts of time during which Joshua is thinking of the next question to ask us. 3 1/2 hours in the car listening to music and not hearing "But whyyyyyyy?" nearly had my head spinning.

In the span of three days, I read TWO books (and they weren't by Dr. Seuss) from cover to cover. Shocking, I know. I would highly highly recommend "The Middle Place" by Kelly Corrigan, especially if you love your Dad to the ends of the Earth like I do and also have children. It talks about what it's like to be someone's mom, but still have the connection of being someone's daughter at the same time. Loved it. Could not put it down. Might actually start reading it again.

I sat in the sun. For 3 hours. Yes, I do have third degree burns. The whiteness of this skin does not often see sunshine, as it is mostly covered in pants and nylons for the working, sunshiny hours of the summer days. I think it was worth it.....especially if you read the last part about reading TWO WHOLE BOOKS again. My husband sat at the swim up bar at the pool drinking Corona for the better part of 2 hours. My father is so proud of him.

We ate hot dinners--- two nights in a row. And we talked. Seriously, how great does this get?

We had some pretty fantastic massages at the spa. I forgot how much I loved prenatal massage and think I may now treat myself to one a bit more frequently until our little girl comes to meet the world. We all know it's over after that for a while until I get my feet underneath me again.....in 3 years.

We took a road trip detour (thank you very much, Garmin) to see the Flight 93 memorial in Somerset County. Very surreal, but I'm glad we saw it. Now there's something you wouldn't do with a 2 year old.

Despite all of this, the best part of the trip was walking in the door to that smiling little boy, who still had shampoo in his hair from the previous night because he apparently wouldn't let Nana rinse it out. Whatever......he looked perfect to me. And the hug......now THAT was worth going away for. You just don't get the same hugs when you're with them all the time that you do when they're happy to see you return.

I'll work on some pictures of Joshua this morning when he wakes up. He's extra tired today because we had some landscapers here last evening giving us a quote on a project. You can imagine how hard he worked to be a part of that conversation. Add to that that our next door neighbor was mowing his grass and you've got yourself one exhausted little lawn mower/landscaper extraordinaire. Goodness, I love him.

No comments: