Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Darn whoopie pies...

I believe I mentioned that we did not skimp on food while in Benezette. I particularly enjoyed my mom's whoopie pies, which were always a favorite while spending time in Poe Valley growing up. My mom did not disappoint while on this trip either, as we found whoopie pies waiting for us upon arrival. I hope that I can get all the details right like mom mom does....honestly, I do. She's so good at it and she makes it look easy.

Well, after eating all of this yummy food (which may or may not have included Dad burgers on the grill, macaroni salad, mountain pies, Zig's breakfasts not one but two mornings, smores, a Thanksgiving dinner on the 4th of July that was DELICIOUS, and the aforementioned whoopie pies), I had the privilege of going to a prenatal checkup this afternoon. I am quite unhappy to report a weight gain of 9 pounds in the past four weeks. Darn whoppie pies.

I also had the pleasure of doing the gestational diabetes screening this afternoon which includes the lovely orange drink and an hour wait in the lab waiting room before the blood test. On this particular hour time span, I was treated to experience the blood work of approximately 13 children under the age of 3. Gotta love that. I've never in my life seen so many children coming through the lab. They waltzed back there, unassuming and smiling, usually chatting with the technician who they have no idea is about to completely wreck their day. They come out red faced, whimpering and ticked off. All of a sudden, my blood pressure started to rise thinking about needing to go through that with Joshua again in January when we redo his allergy profiling. Between the children and the funeral for Michael Jackson that I was watching, it was a long hour.

Hopefully the whoopie pies don't have any lingering impact on my sugar levels too....at least not the way they're "lingering" on the scale.

No comments: