Wednesday, July 8, 2009

PSU Package still lives on...13 years later!


This was a picture of Joshua holding his "monimer" (I believe he's trying to say "monitor") this morning while we were looking for animals in our house. You can see the giraffe beside him that we located with the help of this super sophistocated GPS tracking device for hidden animals inside of a residence. He'll hold up the monitor and then gasp suddenly..... "I hear one! I hear one! It's over theeeeeeeeere!" Then we have to go and capture it. Sometimes if it's something scary, we have to hide out in a bathroom or a bedroom so that we won't be spotted and eaten alive. We whisper and we tiptoe.....and giggle. Have I mentioned how much fun we have playing when his imagination is in active gear?

Perhaps I should note that the "monimer" he is using is the hand held Yahtzee game that Jason bought as a gift and sent to me in college as a reminder of our summer games of Yahtzee at his house when I'd go to visit him. I had never played Yahtzee until I hung out with him. Such a romantic he was...even though we weren't dating in college. God bless him, though, he really worked on me. Because we all know how exciting it is to be the person who gets the "package" slip in your mailbox at college. This was one of very few I received in 4 years at PSU. (Lindsay, you may the one and only person who gets my reference to our Heister Hall package days, so I hope you enjoy the trip down memory lane!) I'm not so sure now if he feels as though the ends justify the means, but I hope so. I surely remember that gesture and how happy he made me that day. Doesn't take much with me, does it?

That Yahtzee game sure has lived a good life. Just a few weeks ago, I removed the THON couple #207 sticker off of the back of it. It was part of my personal treasure arsenal that I took with me to THON in 1999. There wasn't much that could entertain you during the 48 hours of dancing/standing/crying about your sore feet/hallucinating, but Yahtzee did the trick for some of it. That, and clean socks. Don't ask me why, but changing your socks every couple of hours made a big difference.

I find it amazingly hard to believe that the battery in that little game has never been replaced, and it's been played hard. Why is it, then, that the batteries in my digital camera need to be changed every 37 minutes? I guess they just don't make things like they used to in the good old days of 1996.

Who knows where Yahtzee might go next. Perhaps I'll wrap it up, still with the same batteries chugging away, and send it to Joshua or our daughter in college so that THEY are the lucky ones holding the coveted "PACKAGE" slip while their roommate and dinner friends drool.

1 comment:

Lindsay, Ian and Lila said...

Wow- I can't believe that game is still alive!!!!! You played with that thing all the time.
Boy that brings back great PSU memories. I have to say that I think we will both be the mom's who send the packages (regardless of the contents- gummy bears, socks, marshmallow peeps- whatever) just so our kids can be the ones holding that coveted piece of paper.
Miss you! Hope you and the little lady are feeling well. XOXOX to the animal hunter.