Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Evening fun...

Last evening was one of those nights where not a whole lot got accomplished, but we still had a good time. We made some taco salads for dinner, spent some play time outside and then headed to Rita's for a treat. What else are you supposed to do when it's this hot? Joshua did his part to entertain, as usual. In fact, I snapped these two pictures from two of our giggling episodes.

Exhibit #1: Hiding.

One of my favorite parts of the day has become the "SURPRISE!" welcome I get when I come in the door from the office. There's just nothing better than having someone that happy to see you when you get home. Our departures in the morning have been less than happy lately, mostly involving tears and Joshua's begging of me not to go. It's ripping my heart out, but slowly preparing me for the day I drop him off at preschool to the wails that I know full well are coming. (But that's a whole different issue for a whole different post.) So last night when we saw Jason's car pulling into the driveway, Joshua told me he was going to hide from Daddy and surprise him too. This is what he did to hide behind the coffee table.


Exhibit #2: "Good night Bears."

The pie cabinet Joshua is standing in front of is called "the shed" according to him. He will open and close the door to that cupboard no fewer than a thousand times a day. In my futile efforts, I always go around and open it back up again. (Neurotic tendencies, what can I say. I prefer it OPEN!) Last night, after we had eaten our Rita's, he pulled me over to the cabinet and told me I had to be "veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery quiet". When we got there, he opened the doors and whispered to me that the Bears on the shelf were fast asleep. He must have checked on them 10 times before we went to bed for the night and raced down there this morning again to make sure they were still sleeping. They were then greeted with a very robust "Good morning Bears! How was your sleep?" Just wait until he has his baby sister to declare that to in the mornings!

6 weeks from today I'll be gearing up for my last meal before surgery (and you can bet it's going to be a good one. I screwed that one up royally last time, and I will not repeat the same mistake!) and enjoying our last evening as a family of 3. It's almost unbelievable.

No comments: