Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My Mom will like this...

When Libby and I were little, my Mom worked really hard at teaching us to be obedient while having a good attitude about it. Ask her how that went most of the time. When asked to help with a job, we were taught to say, "I'd be glad to" in a tone that you'd want to hear from your child.

Mostly, we grumbled about it. We said, "I'd be glad to", but you could definitely sense the sarcasm or sometimes even disgust in our voices. There's one particular instance that comes to my memory when we quite possibly led my Mom to drink (except that she doesn't do that) over a laundry basket that was sitting on the steps. No less than 20 times, either Libby or I walked up the steps leaving the laundry basket there for Mom to carry up, despite the fact that we'd been asked to do it. We weren't glad to do it...and I think Mom got that message loud and clear that day. We were rotten.

Well, last night, I finally saw the reward for the few times that I may have said "I'd be glad to" with the heart and mindset that my mother requested. Last night was one of those nights with Joshua that I wish I could bottle up and keep forever. And that's why I had to hustle to get this onto the blog before it gets lost amidst what might come tonight.

Joshua not only obeyed every single thing we aksed of him last night, but he did so with that adorable, sincere joy that only a 2 year old can show. I asked him to help me set the table for dinner. He replied, "Mommy, I'm so excited to help you!" He desperately wanted to play outside last night, but we only had about 45 minutes to do it before tub time. When it was time to come in, he gladly picked up his toys and drove his tractor into the garage to be parked. He smiled through snack time, bath time and bed time, all the while saying he loved me, cuddling up next to me and just being an all-around amazing little boy. We pretended to the nth degree. He was a prince and I was the queen. He even gave a speech to the people at our castle that started with "Ladies and Gentleman..." We see glimpses of this every single day, but it's really a treat to get a whole 5 hour stretch where there is literally no scolding, no step sitting and no tears. What a blessing.

And so, just in case tonight is a train wreck, I've at least recorded this for the sake of posterity. If we're supposed to focus on our blessings 10 times more than our troubles, I've succeeded for today. Parenthood isn't all sweetness....sometimes it's a downright drag-out battlefield. But last night it was oh so good.

No comments: