Monday, January 11, 2010

Blessed by a broken washer...

I usually try to see the blessing in all situations. At least I try. It's something I've been working on.

So, this weekend, I was blessed by a washing machine that officially bit the dust. Met its maker. Kicked the bucket. You get the idea.

After getting back to work last week, keeping up on the ever multiplying pile of dirty clothes was not at the top of the priority list. Last week we were focusing on the necessities- eating, sleeping, keeping noses and bottoms wiped. Luckily I had aniticipated that things might go that way, so I had everything we owned (literally) cleaned and packed away neatly in the drawers it was supposed to be in prior to returning to the office. As it turns out, that was a good call. I'm very sorry to report that everything we own is now in piles in the basement BEGGING to be washed. I had a great plan of attack ready for this weekend until the machine decided to go on a permanent strike.

We purchased a new washer and dryer on Friday evening but it couldn't be delivered until this afternoon. And so the blessing was a great excuse to let those piles keep growing until tonight. I had two whole days without either doing laundry or feeling guilty for not doing laundry. It was a beautiful thing.

The people who sold us the machines told us that it would really cut down on the number of loads I need to do. I am stuck, however, on the fact that washing and drying isn't really the issue. It's the folding and putting away that eats up my time. So let me just say that when they invent the dryer that will fold it and put it into a basket upon drying the garments, I will be the first in line to own one.

--------------------

I also have a good Joshua-ism to share. I developed a few favorite shows that I enjoyed watching while home with the kids this fall. It always seemed that I was sitting on my duff feeding Lauren, so the TV was on more times than not. In the 2:00 timeslot, I very much enjoyed Rachael Ray and especially the recipes that she showcased. So anyway, I may have fallen victim to a marketing ploy when I purchased her pots and pans to replace the motley crew of mismatched pieces that were gracing our cupboards. We were forever trying to find lids that went with things and finally just got tired of that dance. So, the snazzy orange handled pots and pans arrived just the other day and we love them.

On Sunday morning before church, I made some blueberry muffins for Joshua. He always enjoys them at Nana's house, so I thought I'd treat him to something he liked. Oddly enough, he didn't eat my muffins nearly as well as he did Nana's. Maybe it's because Nana has this fancy muffin top pan that makes blueberry muffins not much thicker than pancakes. So I told Joshua, jokingly, that I must need to get a fancy muffin top pan like Nana has for him to eat his muffins.

To which he replied....very seriously... "Mommy, you don't need Nana's pans. You just got Rachael's." It was as if he was scolding my shopping habits. And let me tell you...I dont' need that from a three year old!

Interestingly enough, Lauren rolled her eyes at him. I just know she's going to be a great shopping buddy. I'll bet she'll let me get whatever pans I want...as long as I buy her whatever clothes she wants.

No comments: