Thursday, January 21, 2010

Just when you think you've got it licked, the baby has a blowout.

It was a good morning at our house. At least mostly.

Although it may not sound like good news, Lauren has been waking somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 am to eat again. The good part about that is that she then falls back to sleep and sleeps until somewhere around 5 or 5:30 before her belly rumbles and she misses her Mama, which allows me to catch some extra sleep until that time. Then I'll lay her back down and get into the shower around 6:00....a far more civil time to be awake than the 4:30 shift I was pulling as early as Monday. She generally sleeps until about 8:00, when I get her dressed and feed her one more time before leaving for the office. That schedule means that I only have to miss 2 feedings with her if I'm able to leave the office just a smidge early in the afternoons, which hasn't been a problem so far.

I bet you're exhausted just reading that, aren't you?

I share that because it gives a sense of how delicately the time schedule is balanced. At only two and a half weeks back to work, I find myself already starting to stretch the limits a bit. "Gee....if I hit that snooze button one more time, I think I can still make it all happen." 14 days back at work and I'm already taking a walk on the wild side and gambling with the timeframes. You never knew me to be such a rebel, now did you?

This morning, things were sailing along beautifully. Joshua had been exhausted (like throw-a- temper-tantrum and melt-into-tears-over-the-tiniest-thing exhausted) last night. He ended up fast asleep beside me on the couch during Modern Family at 8:00 last night. That was a good thing because some of the content on that program bordered on inappropriate for the ears of a 3 year old. Despite my fears that his "early-to-bed" would lead to an obnoxiously "early-to-rise" this morning, he shocked me and slept until 7:15. I was dressed and ready to go, with a load of laundry in and chili ready to start in the crockpot this afternoon before Lauren even made a peep at 8:00. Pumping supplies were washed, dried, packed in the car and ready for the day. Lunch was packed. Breakfast dishes were cleaned. Cup of coffee had already been enjoyed. I was thinking that this might actually be the morning that I made it to work before 9:30.

And then Lauren had a blowout while she was eating. She soaked her onesie. Up to her shoulder blades. I know. And even though I got her changed before she ruined her outfit, I still had to strip her down completely and wash her off before I could get her dressed again.

Just goes to show that poop happens. And I still haven't seen the office before 9:30. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments: