Tuesday, March 9, 2010

It might have been a bad idea.

Last Friday, I was invited to attend Nursery School with Joshua. Evidently all of the kids' parents had a chance to spend a day with the kids during the month of February. Since we were new, the teachers wanted to offer the opportunity to us as well. The first thing I asked Mrs. Mabus and Mrs. Shaffer was whether or not they thought it was too soon for me to stay with Joshua during school. Knowing his past history of separation issues, I was a little worried. They both said that he has exhibited no signs of separation anxiety and they thought it would be just fine.

As it turns out, this may not have been a good idea. At all.

I was really excited about being there, and Joshua seemed to be as well. He told me he was going to show me everything about Nursery School--- and he had a huge smile on his face at the mention of Mommy going to school with him. (As I look back on it, he was thinking, "Awesome! Now Mommy gets to come WITH me to school. No more dropping off and coming back for me later.")

He acted really strange during my visit. In the beginning of the class, he was sitting at the table playing Play-Doh and suddenly burst into tears. No one could figure out why, and he was in no shape to explain it, other than to say that he wanted me beside him. So I sat down and played some Play-Doh with him and the other children. Then, when it was time to sing songs and do the pledges, he insisted that I sit with him. He wouldn't participate with the other kids and cried when I tried to get up and sit in the back of the room. Odd. The teachers both seemed really puzzled, assuring me that this had never happened before.

Things got a bit better by milk time and play time and Joshua went about his business with the other kids while I sat in the back. This was good news since my legs were officially numb from either bending down or sitting indian-style on the floor. These 31 year old legs haven't been indian-style in quite some time and certainly not for that length of time. And even though things looked up as the day went on, I was getting a sinking feeling in my gut that we were in trouble when it came time for drop off on Monday.

And we were. I was at a meeting in State College all day Monday, so Daddy had drop off and pick up duty. My text message at 12:25 read "That did not go well." Evidently, Joshua was insistent that Daddy stay at school and burst into hysterics when Jason left. He had calmed down by the time Jason came to pick him up, but the teachers said he had a rough time.

I can hardly wait to try again tomorrow. Sense the sarcasm? We've talked a lot about how Friday was a special day and that Mommies and Daddies don't get to go to school usually. He seems to understand, but I'm guessing the tears aren't coming from a lack of understanding. They're just coming from a three year old little boy who would rather have his Mommy and Daddy close by if given the opportunity.

Say a prayer for us tomorrow around 12:15.

No comments: