Thursday, March 4, 2010

Never say never.

Remember yesterday when Lauren talked about how she'd "never" do to me what Joshua was infamous for....you know, keeping me up all night? Well apparently she lies.

Never say "never". Last night wasn't one of our good nights. Not even close. Let's just say I've already had a caffeinated cup of coffee (not the half-caff stuff I usually drink) and it's not exactly doing the trick.

When we awoke this morning, Joshua was up and pretty happy. Lauren, of course, was still sleeping. (Well sure she was. She hardly slept during the night time hours one is supposed to sleep during!) Joshua had to check on his sister...usually she's up before him.

And in case you're wondering, yes it is bothering me something fierce that her quilt is crooked in this picture. With all of the "put in the crib" and "take out of the crib" action that we had last night, if this is the worst it got, I should consider it a victory.

Here's what we saw when we checked on her. Looks sweet, huh? She was super sweet even through the night, she was just AWAKE and evidently ravenous. She ate three times through the night when she's normally only been eating 6-7 times all day long lately. All I can blame it on is a growth spurt and her teeth that still haven't popped through.

But, as is always the case, even after a bad night (or three years of them in the case of Joshua), there's nothing like a happy, smiley baby in the morning to perk you up. You can't be mad about it for long...and I certainly wasn't as soon as she flashed me that precious smile in her crib when she woke up. The night shift is just part of the deal...not the best part of the deal, but part of it nonetheless.

--------------------------
And Joshua gave me a whopper to share with you too. I can see the tides turning from my sweet little boy to the little boy attitude that I feared was under the surface somewhere. It's beginning to rear its ugly head. Our conversation yesterday morning when I was leaving for the office went like this:

Me: "Bye Josh. Mommy loves you. I'll see you later."
Josh: "You.....GET OUT!"

Me: "Uh...would you like to try that again with nicer words?"

Josh: "Out.....now."

Me: "You'd better change your tone in a jiff little man. That's not how you talk to your Mommy." Here's where I was expecting a silly giggle and an "I love you too Mommy."

Josh: "Get out....pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease."

I'm not sure if that was an improvement or not. Oh Heaven help me.


No comments: