Thursday, May 20, 2010

Not to be left out...

Joshua surely has been commanding the attention of the camera and the blog posts lately, hasn't he? I guess that's what happens when you have major life events like field trips and field days and the end of nursery school going on. Tonight's Preschool Program will be blog worthy, I'm sure. So stay tuned for some photos from that adventure tomorrow.

But, I wanted to share some Lauren pictures with everyone. To say that we're entering into the "exploratory" phase with her would be an understatement. I seem to recall that this took MUCH longer with Joshua...that we enjoyed the "put him down on the blanket and he'll stay where you put him for long enough to pee" stage much longer than we have this time around. I can't say for sure, but my memory is foggy. For whatever it's worth, Lauren seems to be on a speed course to conquering a million milestones in one month. Although it's fun to see her do things and get so excited with herself, it also has my head spinning a bit. She's dangerously close to crawling. I would categorize her current progress in the "inchworm crawl" category. Her butt goes way up the air until she's almost on her knees, but then she comes crashing down to her belly. In the midst of this action she scoots at least 6" forward. She can get to anything she wants by doing a combination of this and rolling. And she's FAST!

Last evening I watched her as she pulled herself up in her crib as though it required no effort at all. She was sitting there while I changed clothes and without so much as a grunt or even a deep breath, she got up to her knees, grabbed on to the side of the crib and then stood there smiling at me as if she had just climbed Mt. Everest. Shouldn't we crawl before we start pulling up?

She spends a great deal of time playing with toys on the floor. She loves to tip this basket over and cover herself in an avalanche of things to play with. Sometimes she'll even hold onto the basket, fall over and hold it on top of herself. We don't generally encourage that. When she's playing like this I see such concentration and resolve to accomplish/get/explore/devour whatever she wants. I pray that that tenacity will continue throughout her life. She doesn't quit until she has what she set out to get. That's a character trait that will serve her well as she grows.

Given the little exersaucer incident last week, we've now resurrected the pack & play and set it up in our living room. It resembles a baby jail but we choose to call it our "safe spot". To date she has not managed to weasel her way out it, although that's not to say she hasn't tried. She isn't a fan of being in there unless she can see exactly where I am while she's in it. But it is escape proof enough that if I need to do something like drain pasta or cut something or, Heaven forbid, go to the bathroom without her in my arms, I can do so. I don't ask for much.



And, I was almost as excited to get out my beloved Floppy Seat as I was the day we got out the exersaucer. If there was one piece of baby gear I adored with Joshua, this was it. (This was before I fell in love with the Miracle Blanket.) But, now that Lauren is a pretty sturdy sitter, I thought we would try the Floppy Seat for our grocery trip last weekend. Normally I've been doing grocery shopping late in the day on Friday with NO kids because I can accomplish in 45 minutes what would take me no less than an hour and a half with the kids along. In my life, faster is better. But my work schedule didn't allow any hooky playing for groceries last week so Lauren and I went on Saturday while Joshua and Daddy played at home. We had a ball. She loved looking around at all the people, smiling and cooing at anyone who would look at her. She's a charmer for sure.

Despite all of this, we are still toothless at our house. How funny would it be to have a walker with no teeth? At the rate we're going on both accounts, I'd say it's not out of the realm of possibility.

No comments: