Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Since when am I a zookeeper?

Moms are multi-talented and our job descriptions include some of the strangest things. But I can now add zookeeper to my list of titles because Lauren is officially, without a doubt, a MONKEY!

You know of the exersaucer incident, right? Well, thankfully, there is no "incident" to report, but that's only because I was sitting right beside her as she scaled the side of the pack & play this morning. I had the nerve to put her there in order to put on my makeup before leaving for the office, and had tired of pulling her off of the stairs after 6 times. (And the little stinker was getting up three steps in the amount of time it took me to get to her...all of 10 feet away). She made it quite clear that she wasn't interested in being contained.

I sat to watch her just to see what she was doing, but it wasn't longer than a couple of seconds until she was up to her belly leaning over the edge ready to fall out of it. She pulls herself up like an overhand chin-up with her arms and then scoots her feet along the side of it to pull herself up. Had I not been watching I'm sure she'd have flipped herself right over the edge.

So...OK Mommy geniuses, I have two questions:

The first... Now what am I supposed to do? She's going to be the kid who has to have the tent over her crib isn't she?

And second... At what age do I enroll her in gymnastics lessons since I'm pretty sure she's going to be an Olympic gymnast with these kinds of moves?

I believe I would like to amend my prayer requests when I was pregnant with Lauren. I asked God for a good eater and a good sleeper, and for the most part, my prayers were answered. But if I could, I'd like to add that I'd like to have the baby that is content to sit on the floor and play nicely for more than 3 seconds at a time.

On second thought, I wouldn't change a thing. And this I'll-stop-at-nothing insatiable desire to explore her surroundings just might prove to be a pretty special character trait in our little girl. But goodness am I exhausted.

No comments: