Monday, July 26, 2010

Baby Steps

I wish I had a few pictures today, but I'll save any good weekend ones for tomorrow. I just thought I'd post a quick update about our past few days.

We headed off to the big city of Lewistown on Saturday morning to spend some time with Nana, Pap, Aunt Libby, Uncle Zig and Brooke. Lauren rode like a princess in her new "pink tank" as Mommy calls it. (I'll try to get a picture of her in it!) The thing is like a LaZBoy for the car, I swear it. I'm still trying to figure out how to fit back there and sneak a ride. She slept all the way to Lewistown with nary a peep...and all the way back home again yesterday. I can hear the Hallelujah chorus in my head! Making the switch to the bigger, convertible seat was a good, smart move. Installing a rear facing seat last week (not easy under the best of circumstances) in 100+ degree temperatures was just about insane, but the ends have justified the means. Thank goodness.

It was too hot to do anything on Saturday, so we enjoyed Nana and Pap's air conditioning while the kids played. There was much giggling. All things considered, the three little munchkins played pretty nicely together. Lauren, I think, is ready to explore some bigger toys since she was enthralled with all of Nana's selection of Fisher Price goodies. Joshua did sneak some big boy time with Pap to hose off his tractor and take a ride, which I think he enjoyed. The only outside time for the kids came after supper when they went out with their watering cans and dug holes in the mulch pile and then filled them over and over and over again with water. And even without serious running around, there were a bunch of sweaty heads when it was time to come inside for tubs.

We slept at Nana and Pap's on Saturday night (all three Dugan vistors in one room.....an interesting set up!) and then went to church at Maitland on Sunday morning. It was a bit of a family reunion, pre-family reunion since that's in 2 weeks, but we had a blast seeing everyone. Joshua was a big boy and went to Children's Church with the big kids while I ended up in the nursery with Lauren (surprise surprise).

Other weekend developments:

1. Joshua spent his first night away from Bear since the puking episode that landed Bear in the washing machine and me with a heartbroken boy with a nasty stomach in January of 2008. We had gotten to Beaver Springs on Saturday morning, about 20 minutes from Mom and Dad's, when Joshua asked me "Where's Bear?" He was at home, where Joshua had left him. I braced myself for tears, but evidently my very reactive, "Bear is at home with Daddy. He's going to sleep with him tonight to keep him company. We'll call to check on him in a little bit, OK?" did the trick. Phew. The two were happily reunited yesterday afternoon.

2. Lauren is going to be a biter. Not good. She has left tooth marks (still only has one) on her brother twice in the past 48 hours. Once provoked. Once not so much. The good news is that I think she's going to be able to stand up for herself...and that's a good thing since Joshua has a tendency to dish it out pretty hard. But the not-so-good news is that I'm not entirely sure how you teach a 10 month old (did I really just say that) not to bite. She has laid down the gauntlet, and I will rise to the occasion.....just don't know how yet.

3. And saving the best for last....we've seen several instances of 2-3 wobbly baby steps being put together by our little girl! I'm not sure how it's possible, but she's gaining more confidence every day. She's been doing a whole lot more letting go when she's standing up, and is starting to let go, turn around, and walk towards us. She's working on standing up without holding on to anything, although that's a pretty tricky skill to master. She's persistent and determined, though. It's just as amazing to watch the second time as it was the first. Go Lauren, go!! We're so proud of you! But can I just ask you, where did my baby go??????

No comments: