Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Getting Oriented

With one day left before the start of Joshua's K4 adventure at school, anticipation is in the air. Last night was his orientation night- an opportunity to see his new classroom, meet his teacher, and see some of his friends from last year again. It was a bit chaotic, but it was the whole school all meeting at the same time, so there were big kids and small kids alike, all milling around the school between classrooms and the big meeting in the gym for everyone.

Joshua's new teacher's name is Mrs. Deitrick, and she seems like she is going to be such a blessing to him. From our first interaction she seems warm, friendly and super caring about each one of the kids in the class. Just as a teacher should be. We also found out that his class has 16 students in it this year (quite a jump from the 6 in his nursery school class last year!) There are 16 more K4 kids in the afternoon making Joshua's "class" quite a large one. Amidst the craziness, she even took a few extra minutes to talk with me about Joshua and the peanut situation, so I think we're both feeling a little better about that. I have a list of things to check on today so that I can get her a list of safe options out of some things that she says she occasionally uses as snacks during the day, and we're going to provide a bag of safe snack choices for Joshua to pick from on the occasion that an impromptu snack is brought in by a parent that we hadn't planned on.

The big, all-parent/all-student meeting wasn't anything too earth shattering. They did mention that there are 60 new families attending Meadowbrook for the first time this year. I thought that was a lot.

So, tomorrow morning marks the beginning of another adventure for Joshua. He'll go to school every morning from 8-11. Can I just say how happy I am that we went through the spontaneous Nursery School thing last year? I can only imagine the basket case I would be right now if I had the whole year to think about his first day of preschool being tomorrow. I'll be thrilled to report on his first day after I pick him up tomorrow. It would be fine if you prayed for Joshua, Mrs. Deitrick and go ahead and throw me in there. It can't hurt!

Finally, here are a few pictures from the weekend that I thought you might enjoy...

One very hot, sweaty, red-faced Joshua driving the fire truck at the park on Sunday afternoon.

Lauren being a big girl walking with Daddy at the park. You can see in her eyes that she's looking for mischief.
I don't know what to say about the funny little spots on this picture. But photos of the two kids together are so rare that I really don't have the luxury of being picky about what I post.

I nearly forgot to post that Lauren, our newly turned 11 month old, has really stepped it up in the teeth department over the weekend. Her one little chomper has turned into three--- she got one more on the bottom and one on the top since Friday. And, as you can see in this picture, she really likes raisin toast. I know Grandma Mary is smiling from Heaven about that. It used to be one of her favorite things to make for Libby and I before school in the mornings, usually to go with our scrambled eggs.

More tomorrow!

No comments: