Thursday, September 30, 2010

The post that I saved because I couldn't get the pictures to upload.

**Let me say that I have had this post saved here since Monday thinking that I would be able to get my pictures to upload.  So far...no dice.  So words only, I guess.


What a whirlwind of a weekend it was! 

Friday was catchup day--- catch up on laundry, do some tidying up around the house, catch up on a little down time with all of the sickness we've had running rampant through our household.  It had been a long, tiring week, and we needed to rest.  After Joshua made it through 4 good days of school last week, we had promised him a little movie party on Friday evening.  So I went to the movie store and rented a pile of DVD's that looked like he might enjoy them.  One of them was a superhero movie (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and a few others...pardon my lack of knowledge of superhero things...I'm still new to this "boy" business).  Another was a Scooby Doo video.  And it's safe to say we're now enthralled with all things superhero and Scooby Doo.  Marketing at its finest, my friends.

I also got a little bit of domestic fever and got it into my head that I wanted to be like Darla and make some yummy chicken corn soup with rivels.  So I searched out some recipes and found one that looked good.  I set out on Friday night to start making the soup so that I could finish it up on Saturday for our lunch.  Suffice it to say that, despite the fact that I'm not the world's greatest chef, the soup was pretty yummy.  My mom came to visit on Saturday and helped with the rivel business....that might have gotten a bit touchy....but even she said it passed inspection.

We enjoyed the day with Mom on Saturday very much.  I actually didn't think Joshua was going to let her go home when it was time for her to leave.  We really appreciated her visit and loved having the day to hang out with Nana. 

On Sunday we finally made it back to church after a few weeks of being away/sick/etc.  I believe I was in the sanctuary for 3.7 minutes before Lauren started fussing and needed to go to the nursery, where she would not stay without my being present.  The blessing in the whole thing is that I'm getting an opportunity to visit with a lot of women in the church who are on nursery duty...many of whom I wouldn't get to know otherwise.  But I have to admit that it's more than a little aggravating to spend the time getting everyone out the door looking good only to spend the morning playing on the floor in the nursery.  But...this too shall pass. 

Jason golfed on Sunday afternoon, so the kids and I did a little shopping for Lauren's birthday present.  I felt bad that Lauren was actually with us as we were picking out a  few things and putting them in the cart for her.  But I resigned myself to the fact that she had no idea what was going on and surely won't remember or feel jipped when she opens her gifts on Thursday.  She won't, right?  Joshua picked out a really nice present for his sister.  I was really proud of him for focusing on her for a little while to pick something out before racing to the aisle that had pirate stuff and super hero figures to start his "I want that!" routine.  For not-quite-four I think he did a really good job.

I'm on an emotional roller coaster this week with the big birthday on Thursday.  It's going to be a really small affair at home with Jason's side of the family on Thursday night, and then a gathering with my side of the clan on Saturday afternoon.  I'm a big believer in having cake and ice cream on your actual birthday, but it just doesn't suit to have the Lewistown crew travel our way for an evening party during the week.  So, we'll have TWO parties.  And what birthday girl wouldn't love that?

More to come...

No comments: