Thursday, March 24, 2011

Welcome Spring! (Eh hem!)

It's not looking much like Spring around here...with the mix of snow and ice yesterday morning and today's flying flakes, I'm beginning to think it was a mistake to break out my green Vera Bradley spring purse!  But I will truck on, pretending that we WILL actually be able to enjoy some beautiful spring weather at some point soon.  I can tell you that I am fresh out of any good ideas to keep the kids occupied indoors after the seemingly long, extra cold winter we've had.  Suffice it to say that we're all more than ready to be outside.

We made a trip home to Lewistown last weekend to give Daddy some quiet time at home to prep for his exam that he's taking tomorrow morning.  So the kids and I packed up on Friday afternoon and arrived at Nana and Pap's mid-afternoon.  There was a rumor that Mom was going to make a yummy pot-pie supper, and I have to tell you that it was EXCELLENT!  The kids gobbled up their plates full as well, and they aren't doing much gobbling these days unless it's something like Oreo cookies.  I decided not to even attempt to enter the pot pie supper into my Weight Watchers calculator because let's face it...sometimes ignorance is bliss.  Joshua and Lauren enjoyed some play time with Brooke and some visiting time with the gang for sure.

Saturday morning we got up and went to Stacie's house to let her experiment with the kids as she enters into a photography business.  Joshua should have won a prize for his compliance because he literally did everything Stacie asked him to do.  And then there was Lauren.  I declared to Stacie that if she can get a good picture of an 18 month old, then she had found her true calling because they're tough!  The attention span is all of a second at a time, and they're not likely to listen to what you're asking them to do.  But remarkably, Stacie got some beautiful pictures.  She has shared a few on Facebook, but I'll upload a few here as well once I get the CD with the pictures on it.  Her work with a mirror is stunning.  I'm sure I'm not the slightest bit biased about the subjects, either.  Sure.

Saturday afternoon was a party for Grandma Shirley's birthday, so lots of Richards descended upon Mom and Dad's house for food and fun.  The kids had fun playing with Nana's new kitchen and I don't believe there were more than a few squabbles that needed refereeing.  That's saying something.  Dad made a delicious batch of homemade ice cream that we all loved.  I paid the piper on the scale for my weigh in this morning, so we won't talk about it, but I will say that it was 100% worth it!

We returned home on Sunday morning.  I had grand ideas of leaving Lewistown in enough time to get home for church at First Baptist, but quickly realized that I was lacking the motivation to make that happen.  Instead, we got home in time to eat some lunch, start some laundry, unpack the bags and then go outside to enjoy the pretty day.  We met a few more neighbors and everyone is sooooo nice.  It's been a long inside spell, so we were beginning to think everyone just kind of keeps to themselves, but it appears not to be the case now that we're starting to warm up a little.  Joshua made friends with the two boys who live behind us.  They're 10 and 8 and were pretty patient with him.  They rode bikes and played a very boy-ish game of chasing each other with guns and swords for about 2 hours.  During this time I realized that I am going to have my work cut out for me with Lauren outside this summer.  She has no sense of boundaries, roads or property lines.  Both of our outside experiences have ended with her throwing herself down in the middle of the street screaming bloody murder.  Now there's a great first impression with the neighborhood.  Geesh.

Hope you enjoy a few pictures until next time!

Lauren mixing up some food in Nana's new toy kitchen!  The kids adored this!



Lauren and Brooke scheming about something.  Lauren has no idea that she isn't as old as Brooke and Joshua, so she was always RIGHT with the big kids all weekend. 
Joshua taking his turn with the guys churning the homemade ice cream.
It's hard work, but the payoff is totally worth it!  He ate two bowls.  And had a great conversation with Pap in the process I think.

 
We attempted to take the kids out to blow off some steam with a walk around the neighborhood.  A little fresh air didn't hurt anyone.
And my noodle-faced girl to round out the set.

No comments: