Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Weekend Fun

We were SOOOO ready for a long weekend!  The kids and I packed up and headed for Lewistown on Saturday morning.  Daddy stayed home to spend some time on the golf course and do a whole bunch of work at the house that never seems to be easy to get done with two extra little "helpers" (and trust me when I say we use the term loosely).  We arrived at Nana and Pap's house before lunchtime and spent nearly every moment of our trip outside.  We've been so anxious for nice weather, although I have to say that this immediate jump from cool, wet and rainy to 100 degrees was a bit drastic, but I'm not complaining.


Lauren's big accomplishment this weekend was learning how to "drive" the Gator.  I almost find it hard to believe that Joshua was this same age when he learned how to drive it, but you could search the blog for sometime around May 2008 and see pictures of an 18 month old Joshua driving in circles in the Gator.  His sister was not to be outdone.  She was a bit reckless, but I am happy to report that there were no insurance claims filed this morning for collision by toddler over the weekend (although there were many close calls).  The Gator became our biggest source of arguments this weekend as there are only 2 seats, so there is always one munchkin left out.  And, given the fact that none of our children are what we could honestly classify as "easy going", none of them took kindly to being the passenger either.  I was super proud of Joshua, though, because with just a little coaxing he would defer to Brooke and Lauren for a ride.  I'm not sure he loved the idea, but he complied, and really that's all we ask.

Sunday morning we got up and went to church (where I spent the majority of the time in the nursery with Lauren), but as soon as we got home, we ate lunch quickly and then ended up outside yet again.  Big VIP points to Uncle Zig for picking up the 100 SPF for the fair skinned Dugans in the crowd.  I had left my stash at home and feel certain we'd have amassed third degree burns if it hadn't been for the frequent application of sunscreen.  Libby and Zig brought their large blow up pool to Mom and Dad's and set it up for the kids to splash in.  They all had a ball!

Lauren snoozed in the car for a few extra minutes after our quick run to pick up more shorts and bathing suits for the kids.  (I hadn't exactly anticipated just how HOT it was going to be when I packed the bags before leaving home.  Thank goodness for JCPenney!)  She was parked in the shade with all of the doors open, but awoke to the squeals and shrieks of Brooke and Joshua before too much time passed. 


It didn't take her long to get in on the action, though.  She loved the water!  I already think it's going to be fun to plan some afternoon swimming trips with each of the kids individually.  Joshua and I had such fun last year when we went, and I can already tell that Lauren is going to be more daring than her brother when it comes to the water.  Check out those curls on her head, too!  When it's warm or humid, her hair goes to all over curls!  I love it!

Nana and Pap cooked up a fantastic picnic for us that evening, and Pappy Ray and Pappy Fred and Freda came over to eat with us.  All of the playing had clearly worked up an appetite for Lauren, because before Pap even pulled the hamburgers and hot dogs off the grill, she climbed up to the table and said "EAT!"
After the pool water was emptied, the kids seemed to gravitate toward the dirt pile and played there for quite some time.  And let me say that it was evident in the tub water that evening, as well as by looking at their fingernails!  I have been cleaning dirt out from under those nails since we got home!  But, I believe it's safe to say that they had a fantastic time.

We returned home late yesterday morning, although through tears from Joshua because he really wanted to stay at Nana and Pap's longer.  He told me that 5 nights would be sufficient, but I'm thinking he would feel the same way about leaving to come home.  I love that they have such a great time, but it breaks my heart every time we have to pack up and I see them get upset.  We spent the afternoon yesterday while Lauren napped, helping Jason finish up his outside work pulling weeds and cleaning up the landscaping around the house.

It was a full weekend, but a great one!

No comments: