Friday, September 30, 2011

The past two years...


To my sweet, spunky Lauren,

I can hardly believe that this morning, as you were still dreaming away, you turned 2 whole years old.  Two years ago today, I was snuggling you in the hospital, marvelling at how tiny you were and how perfect you were, and looking so forward to having you meet your big brother and so many of our family who loved you so much already.  And today, I'm up to my eyeballs in Elmo birthday party supplies as we prepare to celebrate you turning 2 years old.

Your curls and your sweet smile are two of my favorite things in the whole world.  I love that when I come home from work in the afternoons, you come running saying "Mommy, you're home!"  I love that even though you're getting to be such a big girl, you still like to snuggle up with me to fall asleep.  You love it when I sing "Cherry Tree" to you and you love to give me squeeze tight hugs.  I love that you love Elmo and Mickey and gaboons and Tootsie Rolls.  I never imagined how I could love you like I do, Lauren, but I do...so very much.

I am so proud of the little girl you are becoming.  My heart warms at the sweetness that I see when you tell Joshua that you love him, or when you pet Watson or hold a baby.  And although it makes me crazy sometimes, I also secretly love your spunk- the way you won't take orders from your big brother, or give up on what you want just because someone tells you "no".  While this may be a real source of frustration for me right now as your Mommy, I pray that this tenacity will follow you through everything you set out to accomplish in life. 

Sweet baby girl, you are the love of our lives.  I can't wait to see you as you fall in love with your baby sister in a few months and to watch you grow even more.  Although it would be fine with your Mommy if you decided to stay just as you are forever.  I love you as high as the sky.

Happy Birthday Lauren!

Mommy

No comments: