Monday, September 19, 2011

The post that is desperately lacking pictures.

It has been quite a couple of weeks.  And generally speaking, they would have totally been blog-worthy...if only I had taken the time to write about it.

I was sure things had to be taking a turn for the better after our weekend of the sickos on Labor Day weekend.  I was oh so wrong about that.  The impending storm the week of September 8th had us all on edge...but mostly me from the insurance end of things.  Although I have to say that my concern was focused more on our friends who typically get water and the many clients I have who are most definitely in the path of rising waters in Lewisburg and the surrounding areas.  But while I was waiting for Joshua's class to let out on Wednesday afternoon, I saw a Facebook post from our neighbor who said they were ankle deep in their finished basement.  Knowing that our house has never had measurable water in the basement, the thought didn't even cross my mind to worry about ours.  Instead, I was focused on my friend Sue who was scheduled to arrive late that afternoon for dinner and an overnight stay.  But when I got home, I decided to check the basement.  And was shocked at what I found---- 4+ inches of water in OUR basement. 

To make matters more complicated, roads were closing around Turbotville at the speed of light.  I was stuck at home without a laptop and it wasn't looking good for getting back to work anytime soon.  So, for the next two days, I stayed at home, worked with the water mitigation people who were working to pump the thousands of gallons of water out of our basement, and trying to do the best I could to be in touch with the office to help clients who needed assistance. 

We were thrilled that roads were opened and our basement was dry enough on Friday afternoon to head to Nana and Pap's for Brooke's 3rd birthday celebration.  I can't tell you how happy it made me to pack bags and get things ready to go after having spent so much time at home in the previous two weeks.  This excitement quickly changed, though, when Lauren started complaining that her ear hurt her during her lunch.  When my pleas of, "No honey, I'm sure you're fine..." didn't console her, it was clear that a pit stop at Lewisburg Pediatrics was going to be necessary.  Luckily we got our prescription to go and had it filled in Lewistown.  And yes, she had two infected ears.  Great.

The weekend at home was wonderful, minus the humiliation PSU suffered at the hands of Alabama on Saturday night.  But the joy of being there to help Brooke celebrate her princess party was wonderful.  The kids seemed to have a good time playing together- giggling, riding the gator and Brooke's Jeep, digging in the dirt and eating far too many cupcakes. 

The next week took a sad turn when we found out that my cousin's husband, who had so bravely battled cancer, had gone to be with Jesus on Tuesday.  I traveled home on Thursday evening for the viewing, and then Jason and I went to Lewistown on Friday for the funeral services.  We are all so sad, but so relieved that we know where Joe is, and are assured that he has no more pain, no more sickness, and that he is basking in Heaven's glory. 

Mom returned to Turbotville on Friday afternoon and spent the night here so that Jason and I could leave before the rooster crowed on Saturday morning for our whirlwind trip to Boston.  We were on the road before 6 and arrived in Boston around 12:45.  We spent some time walking around in the city, and had some lunch at the Union Oyster House and even managed to catch the PSU game at the bar.  We made it back to the hotel in time to watch the only 3 minutes of the game worth seeing and then got ready for the wedding.  The wedding itself was on a yacht that was sailing on the Boston Harbor and was very nice.  We had dinner on board and enjoyed some beautiful views of the city.  Before we knew it, it was time to head back home.  A very tired trip, but Jason did a great job of getting us home to the kids safe and sound.  This was the first time that we had left Lauren overnight, and she did a fantastic job.  Gives me a little bit of hope for when I'm in the hospital to have the baby in January.  Our special thanks to both Nana and Grandma for splitting duty with the kids.

Now, today and tomorrow I'm home with them while Grandma rests up for the rest of the week.  I can't say I'm minding spending the time with them one bit.  I haven't ever gotten used to being away from them, and I really don't like it, but it sure does make the coming home very very sweet.

I'll work on some pictures.  My apologies for not having much to share here today.

No comments: