Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Five???!!!???

I'm finding it a bit hard to believe that today marks the 5th anniversary of being a Mom.  There have been days among the 1,825 that I have held this title that I've wondered how God deemed me equipped to handle the challenges of motherhood.  And there have been more that I've felt so overwhelmed with blessing that I don't have the words to describe it. 

Joshua celebrated his big fifth birthday on Sunday with a small gathering of family and friends at our house.  He had asked for a spooky Halloween party, although he critiqued my level of spookiness and declared  that he thought I should kick it up a notch on Sunday morning before we left for church.  In the end, I think he was satisfied and had a really fun time with his friends.  In the party excitement, we did forget a few things- like the "mummy" making game we were going to play to dress the kids up as toilet paper mummies and the ice cream (how do you forget ice cream?) but all in all, I believe our little buddy felt special and loved and celebrated.  That he certainly is.

Unfortunately, poor Joshua hasn't been feeling well ever since his party on Sunday.  He has been complaining of a super sore mouth and hasn't been able to eat or drink much since the party.  We're not sure what is going on, but he has been home the past two days and isn't feeling super hot on his birthday.  And if anyone remembers the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad third birthday that we had with the swine flu, you know that I'm flashing back to not-so-good memories knowing that my birthday boy isn't feeling 100%.  He was super disappointed that he couldn't take his birthday treat to school today to share with his friends, but given the report I've just received from Grandma, it's a good thing we didn't try to send him because he is capital M miserable right now.  The only good news is that so far, Lauren is fine, and I haven't heard reports from any of the other kids at the party that others are feeling as crummy as Josh is.  And let's pray it stays that way.

I do know this--- the past five years have held more learning, more blessing, more laughter, and more tears than any other 5 year period in my life.  Even middle school.  And that's saying something about the tears.  Nothing has ever made me want to be a better person than the love I felt for Joshua from the first moment I laid eyes on him.  Joshua, you are the sweetest boy with the purest heart, and I love you so much.  Being your Mommy is the best thing that has ever happened to me. 


 Joshua and Cooper inspecting some new superhero toys!

 This was a beautiful moment.  Please notice all of the kids were playing nicely in the playroom together!

 Lauren's love affair with Baby Kinley continues.  If she's half as interested in her own baby sister in a short 11 weeks, I'll be beyond grateful.

 I'm not ashamed to admit that the only way we got them all sitting still and looking at the camera was to bribe them with Frankenstein cupcakes.  But you can't argue with success.

 Joshua, look how BIG you are!!

And let's just compare the diffrence to 5 years ago... here is wee little baby Joshua just a few days old.  Unbeliveable.

No comments: