Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Brace Yourselves...

I have for you today what could possibly be the most unexciting post of all time.  While time has clearly been racing by in recent days (which quickly turn to weeks!), there hasn't been much blog worthy stuff to write about.  But in the spirit of trying to keep things up to date, as well as remember what has been going on, I plug away with what may be a very boring update.

Let's see...

We visited Santa at the American Heritage Crafters Winter Festival a few weeks ago.  Joshua loved it.  Lauren...wouldn't have a thing to do with him or his elves.  The closest she got was to walk up and snatch a mini candy cane or six from the basket.  We did get a photoof Joshua, but it didn't fulfill my wish of a picture of both kids on Santa's lap.  On a positive note, there was no line, so we didn't waste a huge portion of a Saturday morning for this epic Christmas fail.

We have celebrated two office Christmas parties in recent weeks.  One was at a local Amish family's home that works as a restaurant as well.  Talk about a cultural experience!  Turbotville is heavily populated with Amish people, so much so that I feel in the minority most times that I visit the local grocery store and find that my Sienna minivan is the only non-buggy, non-horse driven mode of transportation in the parking lot.  But since living here, I've heard much about this restaurant and the yummy food.  It did not disappoint.  Later last week we celebrated with Jason's team at  Ciro's.  We had fun, but if I can wallow for just one moment, going there just isn't the same when you can't eat pasta...or tiramisu.  I've already placed my order for Chicken Marsala and tiramisu to be delivered to the hospital as my first meal post-delivery when (hopefully) this diabetes nonsense is long gone.

After the Ciro's party, Joshua took a turn into the sick department, which left me begging for a break from the all-too-frequent-lately trips to Lewisburg Pediatrics.  But there was no denying his ear infection given the fever and all of the crying.  So, after spending most of  Friday dealing with two major house fire claims, we were able to get him looked at.  Sure enough- ear infection.  Gladly, with some antibiotic, he perked up quickly and has been on the mend ever since.

Because he was feeling so much better, we stuck with our plan to head to Lewistown on Saturday/Sunday to give Daddy some quiet time at the house to prepare for his test next Monday.  It was a whirlwind trip, but I somehow felt like I owed the kids their time with Nana and Pap that they missed  when we had to high tail it home after Thanksgiving.  It was a very low key trip-- nothing really planned, but we had lots of time to just play together and have fun.  The kids giggled-- and just listening to that for even a second made it worth the work to gather up our stuff, throw it in the van and travel the hour+ to get there.  We did end up going out to the park in town to walk around a Christmas lights display on Saturday night.  It was too cold for our original idea of taking the gang to Hershey for Candy Lane, so we improvised and made out just fine.  The kids enjoyed some ice cream after we returned back to Nana's house.

We have having a great time with Clocky, our assigned elf from the North Pole.  Ever since Thanksgiving weekend, he has been showing up in a different spot in our house every morning.  We're told he flies back to report to Santa how the kids are behaving each day.  The first words out of Joshua's mouth every morning have something to do with where Clocky landed today, and he immediately sets off on a search for him.  I appreciate the enthusiasm Clocky has sparked in getting Joshua up and out of bed in the morning to get ready for school.  As I've found myself dragging a little more each day, I appreciate any boost I can get in motivating the kids to cooperate!  The highlight so far has been that Clocky even left Joshua a "get well" note last week when he wasn't feeling so well.  Joshua carried that note around with him for days, reading it over and over again.  Christmas magic with kids is just about the best thing...EVER!  At this point, Lauren isn't quite sure what to make of Clocky, but she does appreciate his hiding spots each day.  Usually she'll find him after waking up and then giggle and say, "That silly Clocky!"

Upon our return home from Lewistown, the kids were pleasantly surprised to find a big box that had been left for them from a really sweet couple from our church.  They apparently were looking for a home for their reindeer and thought we might be able to get some enjoyment out of it.  My Dad assured me that they were just trying to unload it on someone and saw a sucker in me.  Perhaps that's true, but the kids really have had fun with it.  I had to really chuckle when in true Joshua fashion, he pulled up in his sleigh on Monday afternoon.  Thankfully, for the sake of a photo, he let his sister jump in for a quick ride.

Early this week, Lauren and Grandma both joined the sick club, leaving me at home with the kids on Monday.  It may have been a blessing with as rotten as Lauren was feeling, but we still had some time for some silliness with costumes.  Thankfully they are both feeling much better, and the rest of the week seems to be going according to schedule.  For now.  

Today, I have my weekly appointment with the doctor to check on the baby.  They're doing an ultrasound to check growth and to make sure she's doing OK with the gestational diabetes issues.  Then I have another non stress test and then my regular appointment with the doctor.  So, I guess I'll pack a bag and plan to be there for the duration this afternoon.  All of that will take sweet forever.  But, tomorrow I will be 36 weeks, so I guess that means things are getting pretty serious.  It's so hard to believe that in a matter of weeks, we'll be welcoming a new baby into the family and starting to figure out what it's like to be a family of 5.  I'm not sure we're ready, but we certainly are excited and feeling blessed beyond measure.

I'll try to update on the doctor's appointment tomorrow if there's anything more interesting than all of this!

No comments: