Monday, December 5, 2011

Since we last spoke...

So much has happened since the last time I took the time to post.  Life seems to be moving along at a furious pace these days.  I get the distinct feeling that it isn't likely to slow down very soon either.  So we're buckled up for whatever is heading our way, I guess.

I'm not quite sure where to start, so I guess I will let the camera dictate what comes first in this post.  I have had a goal of having the nursery all put together for the new baby before Thanksgiving.  And given the fact that we are starting from scratch on this nursery (since our other nursery furniture is still in good use in Lauren's room), it was a tall order.  We finally decided on the furniture and got it ordered, and were thrilled to have it delivered (and assembled...that was Jason's favorite part) by the kind delivery people.  To say I am in love with it is an understatement.  With Lauren, I steered away from all of the pinks and purples, and went with her ladybug theme.  I still love her room, but this time, I have been magnetically drawn to all things pink and purple, and the nursery certainly reflects that.  It has since transformed into a lavender heaven in there, with the bedding and a few accessories ready to finish up the decor.  We finally found a rocker that will work and managed to get it home just before the holiday.  I know from our previous experience that I will be spending many hours in that room, in that particular chair, so I'm happy that it is in place.  The kids and I have been working on a few little art projects for the walls, but now that the lavender gingham curtains are hung, that's really all that remains of the work that needs to be done in the nursery. The picture below is a "before" with the furniture just having been delivered.  I'll post an "after" soon.


Joshua and I had a chance to attend his Thanksgiving party at school on the day before Thanksgiving.  We had a great time making Indian vests, Pilgrim hats and even making our own butter that the kids shook and shook until it churned itself into butter.  We had some special Thanksgiving songs and snacks, too.  The picture below is of all the kids and their creations.  I had to laugh at Joshua's creativity.  As the other kids were just cutting random shapes and gluing them onto their vests in no particular order (this was their instruction from the teacher- just to have fun and go to town with any shapes and any design they wanted), Joshua insisted on turning his vest into a depiction of the story they had just heard about the first Thanksgiving. 

After the party was over, both of the kids were literally off the walls excited about our trip to Nana and Pap's that afternoon.  It had been a few months since we had been there for a visit, and I had promised 3 nights to stay there to play.  I wasn't sure how we were going to last from 11:00 after school until 4:00 when Jason was scheduled to get home from work so we coudl leave.  At one point around 3:00, Joshua asked if I would call Daddy and ask him to drive separately to meet us there because he couldn't wait one second longer to go.  Luckily, it takes me sweet forever to get things packed up to go away these days, so I was able to busy the three of us with little jobs that passed the time before Jason arrived home.  And bless Joshua's heart, no sooner had Jason cleared the doorway and his coat was on and he was headed for the van.

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner at home with everyone.  Mom and Dad outdid themselves once again with a delicious meal.  With the inclusion of a walk around the development, I was even able to eat a few things that aren't looked upon favorably for the gestational diabetes diet.  The kids were having a great time playing and everything was going great until...

Lauren woke up from her nap SCREAMING bloody murder, kicking her legs and pulling at her ears saying they hurt.  And by the way she was screaming, there was no question that this was an ear infection.  I can usually set my watch by her getting an ear infection following a cold, and this one came right on time- just with the added complication of the fact that it's a national holiday and there are no doctors or pharmacies open to get her any help.  So I dosed her heavily with Tylenol and we decided that we would make the return trek home to get her to the doctor on Friday.  The kids were disappointed to miss out on a whole day of play time with Brooke, and time with Nana and Pap and Aunt Libby, but there really was nothing else that we could do.  One peek in that ear and the doctor told us it was a bad one- she was surprised it hadn't ruptured.  And so we left with a script for some antibiotic, and a warning that on Lauren's next visit for an ear problem, we'll get the special prize of a referral to the ENT for some tubes.  And yes, I am freaked out at the idea of it.  But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

So we spent the rest of our holiday weekend decking the halls at our house.  Joshua was a huge help decorating the tree.

And when we called for Lauren to come and help us put the ornaments on, this is what we found in the playroom.  Poor baby had had it. 

With the tree in place, we decided that Sunday would be a good opportunity for an attempt at getting a cooperative picture of the two kids for our Christmas cards.  I leave you with this sneak peek of them dancing like chickens when I asked them to stand still and smile.  And that, my friends, is why I started early with these attempts.  I guess you'll have to wait and see if we got even one usable picture of both of them cooperating.

I can't believe I nearly forgot to add in a small little Christmas miracle that arrived a few weeks early.  The week of Thanksgiving, Lauren decided that she was ready to be done with diapers, and within about 48 hours, was potty trained.  I'm not claiming total victory at this point, because there are still accidents occasionally, but for the most part, she has figured out how it all works and knows when she needs to go.  I have joked ever since finding out about the new baby coming that I only one want baby in diapers at a time.  The just over two years between Lauren and the newest baby, though, didn't bode well for my dream coming true.  But it appears that, with the exception of a night time diaper, Miss Lauren has delivered.  We are so proud of her. 

It seems the calendar is filling up awfully quickly with parties and dinners and events and Santa visits and everything else that I absolutely love about the holiday season.  Add to that that I am dealing with weekly doctor's appointments now for the baby, non stress tests every week and ultrasouds pretty regularly to keep an eye on the littlest one, and we've got quite a full calendar book these days.  I don't know whether it's normal holiday hustle and bustle or whether the nesting of the final weeks of pregnancy is really starting to hit me, but I'm approaching panic level about getting things done for Christmas.  Everything that I decide I need to do is prefaced with "just in case" and is usually followed by "something happens and the baby comes early".   I guess it's my way of trying to impose some kind of artificial control over something I have absolutely none over.  Discussions have happened lately about when it's too early to put the baby seat in the van, and when we should have a bag packed for the hospital and what our Plan B looks like if this baby is to decide she prefers to name the date of her arrival as opposed to us giving her eviction papers.  All of that points to the fact that the time is drawing near.  And we are beyond excited.  Even these two.


I'll try not to make it so long for the next post.  But stay tuned.  There aren't too many dull moments around here.

No comments: