Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Dugan's Rockin New Years Eve

At about 9:30 on New Years Eve, I said to Jason that it wasn't looking good for our 2011 tax deduction, nor for our 2011 health insurance deductible to apply to the birth of the new baby.  My next fear was that something would start happening and we'd be the first baby born in 2012, earning us a front page photo on the newspaper that I'm sure would have been less than attractive.  Thankfully, baby girl is still tucked safely inside my tummy and appears to be compliant enough to hold out the remaining 7 days until her scheduled birthday party.

We hadn't planned much for New Years Eve- just a quiet night at home.  I hadn't even gone so far as to make special snacks or anything like that for the kids, just having had enough time in the kitchen during Christmas prep.  So after a day of running around doing errands, we tucked in at home.  Joshua was intrigued by the idea of New Years Eve and seemed thrilled when I explained it as a night that he could stay up as late as he wanted to see if he could make it to watch the ball drop at midnight.  He was poised and ready to tackle the challenge and talked all evening about it.

 Until...

At 9:15 after getting his tub and bringing his sleeping bag and pillow downstairs to be comfy while he waited, his sweet little eyes couldn't stay open a second longer.  And he and Bear drifted off to dreamland.  This sweet boy has my same narcoleptic tendencies.  He can go from wide awake to completely zonked in less than a minute.  (If only he'd been that way as a newborn!)

Lauren, on the other hand, (our resident night owl) kept going until about 10:30, eating Oreos and watching Dora in the playroom.  Her night time routine continues to intrigue me, but she seems to like some alone time to decompress before bed.  She wants her snack, her blanket and her milk and a show to watch.  But she'll declare when she's ready for bed, and then usually goes to sleep pretty quickly once she's ready.

If I'm being honest, I should report that I, also, fell victim to the idea of sleep around 11:15 when I went to bed.  Poor Jason- spent midnight by himself in the living room while the rest of us were snoring away.  I hope that doesn't make me a bad wife.

New Years Day and the day after were chore days around the house with some cooking, laundry, washing of all the miniature pink things in the baby's drawers and closet, cleaning/restocking diaper bags, washing some bottles just in case, hanging a few pictures, etc.  The kids played and played, at one point even using the ottoman as some sort of a hideout.  When they're playing nicely, we try not to interrupt them, even if they're climbing inside of our furniture.  As long as everyone is happy, so are we!

We are now t-minus 1 week until the new baby's arrival.  At one point this morning I stopped dead in my tracks and said to the girls in the office that at this time next week, I'll be holding the baby, hopefully enjoying that feeling of falling in love all over again.  I can hardly believe it, but am so very excited to get the opportunity to do this again.  Seriously, how blessed can we get?  I have what should be my last doctor's appointment and non-stress test tomorrow, and as long as everything looks good, I suspect we'll be on course to meet the final Dugan early on Wednesday morning.  I will be 39 weeks tomorrow, and if my doctor had operating privileges on any day other than Wednesday, I'm pretty sure we'd have her here earlier, but at this point I'm just hoping the baby cooperates with my Type A self and stays put until Wednesday morning.  Although I realize full well that the Lord has a sense of humor and reserves the right to teach me a lesson about Who is really in charge at any given moment. 

Wishing everyone a healthy, happy New Year.  What a fun one 2012 is going to be!

No comments: