Thursday, November 1, 2012

6...

So, we have made a new rule in our house.  I told Joshua on the night before his birthday that I didn't think I was going to let him get any older than 6.  From now on, he'll go backwards again.  A long conversation ensued about why I didn't want him to grow up.  And during that conversation with an ever-so-wise just about 6 year old, I realized that being the Mom of a big boy has its advantages.

A lot of things have changed in the past six years since Joshua and I first met.  He made me a Mommy, and I can honestly say that there has never been a "promotion" in my life that has meant more to me than that one.  I think about how different things were BC (before children) and I almost have to laugh at how much I had no clue about before October 25, 2006.  I thought I was so prepared...had read all the books, thought I knew just how this was all going to go, figured I would tackle motherhood as I do other challenges in my life.  And then somehow, as soon as he was in my arms...this precious pile of blue blankets that I had dreamed about...I realized how incredibly unprepared I really was for taking responsibility of this miracle.  I knew all I needed to know from a strict informational standpoint, but it's the heart stuff that knocked me totally off my feet.  Like how I ached physically when he was unhappy, how I would defy all logic and throw myself into the middle of a busy highway to save him an ounce of pain, how nothing else would matter in my life besides our family and our solidarity as a unit.  And those changes all started with Joshua.  I find it amazing, also, how much evolution has taken place with the births of Lauren and Mara, but it all started with my sweet boy.

We thought it only fitting to celebrate our big six year old with a party for him.  He chose Scooby Doo as his theme, which was a whole lot less scary for me as the party planner than some of his other choices.  He was thrilled to come home from school to find his cake just about ready.  Our peanut friendly baker, Nicole Swanger from Lewistown, had helped once again with a fondant Scooby that was safe to touch the cake that I baked and iced for Joshua.  Something tells me she might not take my calls from now on after constructing the Doc McStuffins figures and now Scooby.  But she does amazing work.  The rest of the house was decked with Scooby balloons, Scooby snacks and masks for the kids that looked like Scooby heads.  We had hot dogs (get it....hot DOGS) at Joshua's request and other snacks he helped to pick.  The best part was that he had his friends with him, and we had so many people there that mean the world to us to help us celebrate our sixth anniversary of becoming a family.  The kids had a ball, as usual, as there was much running and giggling and sugar consumed. 


 Earl's "cha-cha-cha's" always crack everyone up.  Joshua had so hoped he would sing them for him at his party.

Present time is always a highlight.  Lauren was a little concerned about not getting to open any presents until we gently reminded her of her Doc party just a few weeks ago where she was the only one getting any gifts.  I still don't think she was happy about it, but she was a pretty good sport.  They didn't start fighting over Joshua's new things until Saturday morning.

And this little troublemaker was content mostly to get into everything she wasn't supposed to--- like paper, things on the floor, Kinley's sippy cup and anything else that wasn't meant for her.  Story of our lives these days I guess.  I truly enjoyed seeing her and Kinley together.  There is something so special about those two girls--- I just hope they'll always enjoy each other the way Emily and I enjoy seeing them together.  I always wonder if our Moms felt that way about us when we were little.

I'll end with a few of my favorite things about Joshua...
  • I love his creativity.  This child can turn a piece of paper and a pencil into a hundred different things.  He can also take a box of costume pieces and turn them into costuming for any character you can think of.  It's almost amazing to watch.
  • I love his artistic abilities.  Some of his drawings are really good- and appear to be the work of someone much older than he is.
  • I love his sweet heart.  Although Joshua is a strong willed child for sure, he also has a very soft heart for others.  He gets concerned about them and doesn't want anyone to feel left out or sad, and will do whatever he can do to help.  He'll often tell me about he plays with people at school, and he will do something that isn't his first choice just so the others can do what they want to do.
  • I love how protective he is of his sisters.  He loves playing with Lauren, mostly when he can boss her around, but she plays willingly most of the time.  I love the tenderness I see in him when he is with Mara--- this sweet smile and the giggle when he sees her smile back at him.
  • I love to see his mind at work.  I still stand by my prediction that he will be an engineer or something that requires him to really use his brain to organize things.  He is always thinking in terms of charts and rules and ways to keep things orderly.  He maintains that his goal is to one day be the President of the United States.  And there is no doubt he could be if he keeps his focus the way it is now.  I just cannot wait to see what God has in store for his life.
We love you more every single day, Josh!  Happy Birthday, buddy!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I loved learning more about Josh. Happy 6th birthday!!!