Tuesday, December 18, 2012

A grateful Mama's heart.

I was listening to one of many news reports that I have seen, like so many others, since last Friday's terrible tragedy in Newtown, CT.  It was talking about all of the different ways people process difficult events.  It's pretty easy for me to say that I am far better at writing than talking, and am quite likely to cry.  As evidenced by the fact that I have come to work with mascara stained cheeks every day since Friday after listening to the heart wrenching stories that Moms and Dads are telling about their children, who they innocently dropped off at school in the morning, never expecting that it would be the last time they saw their precious child.  I had a good, ugly cry when I first read the names and birthdates of the children who were taken from their families.  They're all Joshua's age.  And I have a hard time separating those six year olds from the sweet, innocent faces that I see every day at Joshua's school.  And our church.  And in my office.  And at the grocery store.  I like to think that I don't live with my head buried in the sand, and that I have a full realization of the evil that exists in this world.  But there's a whole different element of angst and anxiety when we see how quickly lives can end in a place that we all work so hard to keep as a safe haven for our children, and that the evil and hatred in the world could play out in such a way that Newtown could have been any town in the country.  I believe in my heart that Jesus himself welcomed all of those little ones into his arms on Friday morning.  And I hope that will be a comfort to the families left behind who are missing their sons and daughters...and those children who are missing their mothers.  I also know, though, that there will be a lot of families aching to have those children in their arms on Christmas morning, opening presents and giggling with delight at the treasures Santa left for them.  I just cannot begin to imagine the ache in those parents' hearts, and it literally brings me to tears to try.  Lord, please be near to them.

So far this year, my promise to myself not to get stressed over Christmas and not to overschedule us with activities and things that just make us all nuts has worked better than I might have guessed.  We have not had the normal holiday run-yourself-ragged effect that I remember all too well from years past.  We have still done some special things, but I don't feel as though our sense of peace and joy has been overshadowed by the stress that can so easily creep in.  We have a quite busy weekend leading up to the holiday, but I think we have managed the best we could so far.  At this point, presents are wrapped and ready to be smuggled into the basement for safe hiding until Monday night.  We have several types of cookies baked and in the freezer to be pulled out.  Joshua has a request for some gingerbread men for his school party on Friday morning that I hope we have time to get to this week.  I have a mincemeat pie to bake for Christmas morning breakfast (Grandma Mary would be so pleased to know that I have carried this one on!) and some cooking to do for the family party at Stacie's house on Saturday.  But really, if I did nothing else, Christmas would go on.  And I guess that's a pretty good place to be at this point in the game.
This past weekend, we had a Christmas turkey dinner with Jason's parents.  This was officially the first turkey dinner that Jason and I have cooked together in our home, and for a first attempt, I was pretty pleased with the results.  It was certianly a team effort, even involving Jeff and Judy as we rounded the final turn on Sunday afternoon to getting things on the table and ready to go at the last minute.  I think we all appreciated the opportunity to sit down to a nice meal together, and I know the kids loved having some time with Grandma and Grandpa.  I had to laugh at how the kids ate.  Turkey dinners with all of the fixings must be high on Joshua's list of favorite foods because he devoured his plate of food.  Lauren did well also and Mara finished two full trays of food, too.  When it was all said and done, I was quite pleased that Joshua gave Jason and I this award...
I can only hope that he will always think my cooking is wonderful.  The older I get, the more I find that I love to cook, and we certainly enjoyed doing a big meal this past weekend.  Our leftover turkey and gravy is now safely tucked into the freezer to be turned into turkey and waffles on Christmas Day when it will just be our family together at home.  Don't worry--- I put some filling balls back as well.

We are so looking forward to Joshua's Christmas party this week on Friday morning, and then our trip to Lewistown on Saturday morning for the big Richard Family Party at Stacie and Noah's house on Saturday afternoon & evening.  I absolutely cannot wait to see all the kids playing together this year-- especially with the new 2012 additions to the crew in Mara, Reed and baby Hayden.  It should be a really special day.  Sunday we will celebrate with my immediate family at Mom and Dad's house, and that has become a really special day for all of us as well.  I am really looking forward to a quiet (relatively speaking) day at their house and a great meal together with all of them.  Then Monday it is back home for us for a quiet night at home and a special Christmas Day together as a family and then with Jason's parents.  We are so blessed.

Lots to come...




 And look who is on her feet ALL THE TIME now...getting into quite literally EVERYTHING!  She's cute, but she's exhausting!


No comments: