Monday, December 31, 2012

Weekend Report

This was one of those rare weekends where I actually feel rested and refreshed afterwards.  I can't usually say that, but I am thankful!  It may have had something to do with the short week last week and some home time due to the snow that had me a little more caught up than normal, but regardless, we will take it!

Friday night we got to meet up with the Mowry's at The Well.  The kids blew off some steam and the grownups had a chance to talk.  At one point we looked around and realized that we were the only people in the play area.  It was great!  I can definitely see some winter play dates there until the kids are able to get back outside to run around again.

Saturday was great because we didn't leave the house.  I love days like that!  The snow was falling when I woke up and it kept falling all day, giving us every excuse to stay home.  The kids didn't even seem interested in going outside to play in it, so we played inside all day, did some chores, and cooked a nice dinner.  No complaints out of me.

Sunday morning we got up and headed to church on some pretty icy roads.  Had I known the shape they were in prior to loading everyone into the van and getting going, I probably would have opted to stay home.  But we pressed on, thankfully arriving safely.  And, as usual, it was a blessing.  We are starting a new Sunday School curriculum that is about prioritization, and let's just say that after one 30 minute DVD session, I am already feeling quite convicted and just know that this is going to be good for me.  If there is an area of life that I struggle with (there are lots...but this is one of the root causes of the others that give me fits) it is figuring out the balancing act.  I used to pride myself on being able to handle a whole lot of things and doing an OK job with all of them, but since the kids have been born, I have found myself struggling more and more with the kinds of things that were already discussed as symptoms of misplaced priorities in your life.  So, let's just say I will look forward to Sunday School and the insights that this might provide. 

Sunday afternoon we got to go to Jason's parents for some visiting and dinner.  Joshua had requested the menu of spaghetti and meatballs (his request any time you ask him what he wants to eat) and ice cream sundaes.  Fine choices!  Dinner was delicious and the kids had a great time hanging out at Grandma and Grandpa's house.  Mara didn't do any major damage, which was a plus for sure!  We're hoping to get to do that again soon.

On a completely separate subject, we are having some pretty big successes at home with Joshua and Lauren.  Last Thursday night, Lauren decided that she wanted to go to bed in big girl underpants instead of her pull-up.  I have been working through an overzealous purchase of pull-ups and have just been using them on her to make sure that I don't have to do a sheet change in the middle of the night seeing as how I am still up with the baby most of the night every night.  But Lauren has been dry every morning for months.  And so, when she woke up dry in her big girl pants, we had quite a celebration.  Joshua overheard and did a great job congratulating his sister, but then asked me quietly if he could please try to wear underpants to bed that next night.  I agreed, fully expecting that I would be changing sheets at 3 am.  The poor guy has had a terrible time getting control of his overnight training, and the doctors have been telling us that it is completely normal for boys especially to take until age 8-9 to get the night training down.  But I am happy to report that he has been dry every night and is waking in the night time when he has to go.  We are so super proud of him!

I caught these pictures yesterday afternoon while Mara was eating her lunch.  I just love to hear Lauren giggle, and I love having a picture of her doing it.  I can almost hear her laughing when I look at the picture.  And Mara just loves her big sister and brother.  Her latest thing is wanting to hug just about everyone...but especially Josh and Lauren.  It is so sweet to see.




This afternoon, amidst appointments and finance work that needed to be done, I took Joshua for his annual blood testing to measure the progress of his peanut allergy.  He was none too pleased about the blood work, but a sweet client of mine was the one who did his blood draw and she was wonderful with him.  (OK, and me too!)  My prayer always is that the test will come back and they will say he is no longer allergic to nuts.  Hey, a Mom can dream, right?  After Joshua's brave showing at the lab, I treated him to a milkshake and some time with me at the office.  He has written on my white board, stamped everything that won't move, and shredded half of a bin worth of paper.  But he seems to be enjoying himself.  I always love when he is here--- drawing me pictures and just being his sweet self with me and my staff.  


Tonight is New Year's Eve...and I will be lucky if I am not passed out asleep in the rocker with Mara before 9:30.  But I love this time of year--- fresh starts and new hopes and plans for the new year.  Fresh file folders and clean Excel spreadsheets ready for the new year of work are an added bonus.  Enjoy New Year's Eve, everyone!

No comments: